cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Stay updated on what is happening on the PTC Community by subscribing to PTC Community Announcements. X

Access external data from Parametric files using toolkits

tonyjo
1-Newbie

Access external data from Parametric files using toolkits

I am investigating the ability of the Creo Parametic Toolkit.

I have developed an auxiliary application using the PTC Creo 4.0 toolkit.

This application handles notification events for open and save in order to read and write external data.

This is all working as expected.

My question is this:

Can this external data be accessed using this toolkit or any other available toolkit without using the Creo Parametric application?

Example 1: if you added a creo file as an attachment to an email in Microsoft Outlook, could an Outlook Add-in access the external data within the attached creo file?

Example 2: if you had a file store used for storing creo files, could another application sort this store based on the external data.

thanks,

tonyjo

3 REPLIES 3
Eike_Hauptmann
13-Aquamarine
(To:tonyjo)

Nope ...

afaik it is saved inside the encrypted part of the Creo file. So you can't read it until you break the encryption wich is illegal (in germany ... didn't know for other countries in the world).

Br,

Eike

Thanks for the rapid response.

Do you know how the Creo Parametric VB API works?

From reading the Guide:

You can use the VB API for Creo Parametric to:
• Create a VB.NET form capable of starting or connecting to Creo Parametric non-graphically, accepting user
inputs and driving model modifications or deliverables.
• Create a VB.NET application that may or may not have its own User Interface (UI). The application should be
able to establish one or more Creo Parametric UI or event listeners in session, and process those events
using VB.NET code.

From what I am trying to achieve, I expect Creo Parametric to be installed on the machine where this API is run.

However, does the Creo Parametric application have to be active for the VB API to work? Or does the VB API instantiate a Parametric session without the need to show any UI?

Eike_Hauptmann
13-Aquamarine
(To:tonyjo)

No, I have no knowledge about that.

But I asume from my knowledge of J-Link and Toolkit that both is possible. You can connect to an already running session, or create a new one. If you create a new one be aware that it need a license from your pool until it ends.

Br,

Eike

Top Tags