cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - You can change your system assigned username to something more personal in your community settings. X

BOM Balloon Parameter in a drawing template

Zoltán
11-Garnet

BOM Balloon Parameter in a drawing template

Hi,

I want to set up a drawing template (or would also be happy with a format) where the BOM Balloons pick the numbering for assembly items not from a rpt.index, but a Find Number parameter. In an actual drawing I know how to set this (change rpt.index to asm.mbr.cparam.FINDNUMBER)...

Zoltn_0-1659685090778.png

...but I'd like to have this set already from start when creating the drawings.

In a drawing template (.drw) the BOM Balloons tab of Table Properties is greyed out, as there's no model to "balloon".

Zoltn_1-1659685376945.png

This is my catch 22. I'd like users not having to manually change this in the BOM table for every drawing they create.

Does anyone have an idea to achieve this for a template or format?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

@Zoltán wrote:

Hi Martin,

OK, so your template file does allow for me to change the BOM balloon parameter, but the built in quick tables don't. A bit annoying....

Zoltn_0-1659704983688.png

Can you confirm this on your setup?

Kind regards

Zoltán

Hi,

I am able to reproduce the problem with quick table named bom description up inside empty drawing (i.e. template drawing).

The problem can be also reproduced with manually created table containing 2 lines. I created the same table as bom description up.

The problem can be reproduced when the drawing does not have a model assigned.

Workaround:

• create new drawing
  • assign a model to the drawing
  • place quick table named bom description up into the drawing
  • modify table properties as needed
  • save table into .tbl file
  • open drawing template
  • import .tbl file into drawing template
  • save drawing template
  • verify whether drawing template works well

Martin Hanák

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
remy
21-Topaz I
(To:Zoltán)

Dear @Zoltán 

You need to automate the change of a particular report parameter in the Table Properties. This Table Properties requires a model to balloon hence the change has to be dynamic and cannot be perform by a template that's static.

It is also confirmed by this article that no option exists to set that parameter by default : https://www.ptc.com/en/support/article/cs197755 

Why not create mapkey like suggested by the article resolution?

and let your users call that mapkey.

That mapkey will create the drawing, will call on the template that in turn will take the model in session, willcreate the table and once the table is in the drawing will apply the change? 

Zoltán
11-Garnet
(To:remy)

Why not? Well, that's a workaround of sorts, I already got the part of "need a model to do balloon settings".  😉

I was curious if there was a way to do this without a mapkey, but of course that is a solution and the way one has to take given the way Creo works at this point.

Thank you for the reply/solution!

@Zoltán wrote:

Hi,

I want to set up a drawing template (or would also be happy with a format) where the BOM Balloons pick the numbering for assembly items not from a rpt.index, but a Find Number parameter. In an actual drawing I know how to set this (change rpt.index to asm.mbr.cparam.FINDNUMBER)...

Zoltn_0-1659685090778.png

...but I'd like to have this set already from start when creating the drawings.

In a drawing template (.drw) the BOM Balloons tab of Table Properties is greyed out, as there's no model to "balloon".

Zoltn_1-1659685376945.png

This is my catch 22. I'd like users not having to manually change this in the BOM table for every drawing they create.

Does anyone have an idea to achieve this for a template or format?

Hi,

what Creo release do you use ? I tested Creo 9.0.0.0 >>> I can access BOM Balloons tab in Table Properties.dialog box.

Martin Hanák

Hi,

7.0.4.0, but do you do this in a drawing with no model? To be able to save it as a template?

@Zoltán wrote:

Hi,

7.0.4.0, but do you do this in a drawing with no model? To be able to save it as a template?

Hi,

in Creo 7.0.5.0 everything works well. See video FINDNUMBER.mp4 and investigate attached files.

Martin Hanák

Hi Martin,

OK, so your template file does allow for me to change the BOM balloon parameter, but the built in quick tables don't. A bit annoying....

Kind regards

Zoltán

@Zoltán wrote:

Hi Martin,

Kind regards

Zoltán

Hi,

I am able to reproduce the problem with quick table named bom description up inside empty drawing (i.e. template drawing).

The problem can be also reproduced with manually created table containing 2 lines. I created the same table as bom description up.

The problem can be reproduced when the drawing does not have a model assigned.

Workaround:

• create new drawing
  • assign a model to the drawing
  • place quick table named bom description up into the drawing
  • modify table properties as needed
  • save table into .tbl file
  • open drawing template
  • import .tbl file into drawing template
  • save drawing template
  • verify whether drawing template works well

Martin Hanák

There are almost small tears in the corner of my eyes right now. 😃
This was the solution I was looking for, your workaround did the trick. Thank you, @MartinHanak!

Zoltn_0-1659712277435.png

Top Tags