cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Need to share some code when posting a question or reply? Make sure to use the "Insert code sample" menu option. Learn more! X

Implement a plugin system into the software (i.e., Creo App-Store)

psobejko
12-Amethyst

Implement a plugin system into the software (i.e., Creo App-Store)

There are so many good ideas here and it seems that many of them could be easily implemented via more-or-less simple "plugins", or "extensions".

Just think of Firefox or Sketchup and how easily the plugins extended the power of those applications?  How about AutoCAD?

But I just think that Creo is often just too damn hard to use and it will die off unless it's made better.  And the PTC's pace of "development" isn't very impressive.

There are probably already many here that have customized and enhanced their installations with Jlink or Weblink or some VB scripts or something made with the Creo toolkit; but I'm under the impression that it would not be easy to share them if they wanted to.  What if these people could submit their work into a marketplace where others could download/purchase their "apps" and install them directly into their Creo installations?

I would go as far as to suggest to PTC that they should just give their Creo Toolkit for free in order to mobilize a whole community of helpful, enthusiastic and intelligent people to help improve their software.  And maybe make some money in the process?  PTC: of course one would have to have active maintenance contract in order to install more than 3 "apps"...

This thread is inactive and closed by the PTC Community Management Team. If you would like to provide a reply and re-open this thread, please notify the moderator and reference the thread. You may also use "Start a topic" button to ask a new question. Please be sure to include what version of the PTC product you are using so another community member knowledgeable about your version may be able to assist.
1 REPLY 1
TomU
23-Emerald IV
(To:psobejko)

There was discussion at PTC Live Global 2015 by one of the PTC managers about this very thing.  It sounds like this functionality will be provided for 3rd party developers in Creo 4, some who are already in the process of writing the apps.  I didn't get the impression that it will be opened up to everyone though.  I'm sure PTC will want some control of (and profit from) the apps. 

I wonder if maybe the new Sigmetrix GD&T Advisor integration will be added on this way...

Announcements

Top Tags