cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Learn all about PTC Community Badges. Engage with PTC and see how many you can earn! X

Multiple Variants of assembly models

JWayman
1-Newbie

Multiple Variants of assembly models

I'm sure I should know the answer to this. Perhaps I'm just being dim, but...

I have an assembly made up of 5 different components. Each of these components has a family table with a number of key dimensions varied in each instance.

I want to make a large number of assemblies, each made up of a different combination of instances of the base components. I think there are 48 variants in total.

I really don't want to create 48 different assemblies manually.

What is the best way to do this?

I can think of Simplified reps, with a base model containing every single instance of every component, but that seems like a lot of clicking to select only the instances required. I don't think I can edit them in Excel, for example.

I did think of Assembly Family Tables, but I couldn't figure out how to use a different instance of a component in any given assembly instance.

I also thought (briefly) about Pro/Program, J-Link, etc. I have no idea how to use anything like that, and I am anxious that, in the future, my colleagues are also able to work with the solution, so I am not inclined to go the programming route.

I'm sure it's easy. I'd welcome some advice.

WF4, M220

Ilink 3.4, M070

Cheers,

John

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

I guess you have to enter the instances name in the family table by selecting component in the family table variation.

You have create the assembly with generic model or parts file. Then create family table in assembly.

When selecting parameters for variation in family table in assembly select all the generic componenets which you need to vary. Then in the family table create instances and enter the name of each part enstances in the variation field.

Regards,

Jayanta Sarkar

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

I guess you have to enter the instances name in the family table by selecting component in the family table variation.

You have create the assembly with generic model or parts file. Then create family table in assembly.

When selecting parameters for variation in family table in assembly select all the generic componenets which you need to vary. Then in the family table create instances and enter the name of each part enstances in the variation field.

Regards,

Jayanta Sarkar

As I thought, it is, indeed, easy.

I had forgotten that I could type in the name of a family table instance in an assembly family table. I saw the Y/N drop-down and thought, incorrectly, that they were the only options.

All working now.

Cheers,

John

Top Tags