cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Need help navigating or using the PTC Community? Contact the community team. X

OT: Laptop SSD upgrade

TomD.inPDX
17-Peridot

OT: Laptop SSD upgrade

I finally went and did it.  I put a 1TB Crucial MX200 into my laptop ($329).

The price is certainly attractive.  Even at 500GB, this is a nice upgrade.

I was concerned about loosing software licenses during the clone.

Somehow that was a no brainer.  The included Acronis SW license did a perfect clone.

One speed bump was having to do a chkdsk c: /r .  This set me back about 4 hours.

Acronis complained that my C: drive had a corrupt file which chkdsk obviously fixed.

I'm glad it warned me before proceeding.

I was fortunate enough to have the latest firmware already installed.  No need to test Crucial's firmware installer.

Once the cloned drive was put into the primary drive slot, and the original drive fully removed, I rebooted; and viola! it came to life.

Office products open, no Windows 7 license nags, Creo ran and so did SolidWorks.

To me, this was a success.  And my satisfaction index (Microsoft's tool) is up to 7.9 on a 0 to 7.9 scale.  I must be ecstatic!

Anyway, if you were on the fence, dive into it.

This thread is inactive and closed by the PTC Community Management Team. If you would like to provide a reply and re-open this thread, please notify the moderator and reference the thread. You may also use "Start a topic" button to ask a new question. Please be sure to include what version of the PTC product you are using so another community member knowledgeable about your version may be able to assist.
2 REPLIES 2

Great, you are gonna love it.

I remember few years back when i switched to SSD i kept getting alot of BSODs. That was nasty, but as i see it now, well worth the hassle.

I've had an SSD (250 GB Samsung) in my home rig for a couple of years now, and the responsiveness is brilliant.  A great all-round performance upgrade.

Top Tags