cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Did you get called away in the middle of writing a post? Don't worry you can find your unfinished post later in the Drafts section of your profile page. X

Pro/Program - Parameterized Parts in Parts Library

CreoTherian
3-Visitor

Pro/Program - Parameterized Parts in Parts Library

Hello, and thanks for taking a moment to read this post! For context, I am running Creo Parametric 3.0.

Currently, my company makes use of a lot of 8020 parts in our various processes to the point that I have created a part in Creo Parametric that automatically generates an 8020 extrusion and adds machining to it based on user input of parameters. This is done through Pro/Program and asks the user a bunch of questions to determine the length of the extrusion and which features to unsuppress to create the desired part. This part has then been thrown into a Part Library to lock it as read-only for general use with the company.

The problem comes with using the part after it's been added to the library. The part is originally saved as being a part with "0" length, in that the main extrusion is suppressed by the Pro/Program when the length parameter is 0. When a user adds the part to an assembly, regenerating the assembly prompts the user to choose a length and machining options as intended. However, this appears to modify the library part to use those choices everywhere the part is used.

So after that long-winded explanation for context, here's the question. Using Pro/Program or any other settings that I am probably unaware of, is there a way to force Creo to create a new copy of a part pulled from a part library that does not rely on a user doing it manually? For instance, if the part saved to the library is named "8020_1515", is there a way to have Creo automatically / programmatically create a copy of the part and name it something like "8020_1515_1" to prevent changes from writing to the base file?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Hi,

when you can create new "8020_1515_1" part, you can select "8020_1515" as its template.

Martin Hanák

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

Hi,

when you can create new "8020_1515_1" part, you can select "8020_1515" as its template.

Martin Hanák

@MartinHanak wrote:

Hi,

That works like a charm, thank you!

For those viewing this solution after the fact, here's the step-by-step:

1. Create a new part by clicking the New button (Ctrl + N by default)
  2. Select the Part option and choose which ever Sub-type applies to the situation (Solid in my case).
  3. Make sure to uncheck the "Use default template" box and click the OK button to continue.
  4. Uncheck_Default_LI.jpgOn the next popup, click the Browse.. button and navigate to the part you want to copy. In my case, this is 8020_1515 and it resides in our Part LIbrary.No_Default_Template_LI.jpg

5. Fill out the parameters as needed and click OK to create the part!
Top Tags