cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Learn all about PTC Community Badges. Engage with PTC and see how many you can earn! X

Utilizing C# libraries from Creo Parametric Extension

ZS_10383889
6-Contributor

Utilizing C# libraries from Creo Parametric Extension

Hello everybody!

My company has just acquired Creo Parametric and it needs to develop add-on extensions to it. From the other hand, we have tons of useful C# code that we we want to reutilize.

I just started to design the extension and my plan was to implement a 3-tier architecture consisting from the following layers:

- DLL client build with Creo Object Toolkit C++, which may be registered as extension to Parametric.exe

- Middleware build with C++/CLI which will allow client/server interop

- C# libraries consumed

Unfortunately, my trials so far to make server DLL extension dependent on the middleware class brought to the Parametric crashes.

I'm absolute newbie to the Parametric programming so I would like to start this first post with some general questions.

Do anyone has the experience with the using C# code from Parametric?

Is the direction I tried makes sense with Parametric?

If yes, what may be the causes for crash? (I will share code files as necessary)

If not, what are the advised directions I can focus on?  

Thanks for your patience.

11 REPLIES 11

Hi,

please ask PTC Support.

Martin Hanák

Thanks. Do you mean Technical Support? Because I already did. It says that this is not part of their responsibility and suggested to request assistance on forums instead. :((

@ZS_10383889 wrote:

Thanks. Do you mean Technical Support? Because I already did. It says that this is not part of their responsibility and suggested to request assistance on forums instead. :((

Hi,

I found https://community.ptc.com/t5/Customization/Include-standard-c-functions-in-Creo/td-p/641978?art_lang=en&posno=1&q=C%23%20library&ProductFamily=Creo%20%26%20Pro%2FENGINEER&source=search discussion. Maybe you can ask Eike_Hauptmann.

Martin Hanák

Thanks for your effort. This may help.

remy
21-Topaz I
(To:ZS_10383889)

HI @ZS_10383889 

You need assistance in integrating C# code in a Creo Object Toolkit application and you are looking for help.

Here is a kind reminder of our conversation : 

The scope of Creo Toolkit Support Team is defined here: https://www.ptc.com/en/support/csguide/Guidelines_Legal/Requirements_for_Customization_Support 

remy_0-1661336707672.png

These requirements have been set to warranty quality of service and accountability.

Integrating C# code in C++ code has less to do with Creo Toolkit and more to do with coding in general and more precisely IDE setting.

That's the reason, you were suggested to ask a question on a general forum even none PTC ones. 

Hoping you will find the help you need.

Best regards

ZS_10383889
6-Contributor
(To:remy)

Hi Remi,

I understand your position. Unfortunately 99.99% of the C# community never heard of Creo Parametric and its constructs. That is why I require assistance from those who know how extensions function within parametric.exe main program. This is not specific to C# and more about CLR and interfaces to the managed code. I fully understand this is very narrow, tricky and not covered on the Internet. 

Thanks for your good wishes.

BR.

Why you don't want to create a Net addon (application) to connect to Creo?

Using VBA API (in general any COM api including C#)

Thank you for this advise. 

In my opinion using wrapper is more versatile comparing with COM interfaces. But eventually that may be my second (and the only one available) choice.

I have not started to tackle VBA API yet. Why do I need it?  

BR.

@ZS_10383889 wrote:

I have not started to tackle VBA API yet. Why do I need it?  

I think, a main benefit is an ability to reuse you C# code. You can use the source code or link library to new app witch will interoperate with Creo.

COM application in some tasks may be slowly, but it depends of your needs and what will do this C# code.

Additionally, take a look at the chapter "Task Based Application Libraries" in the documentation. This is standard mechanism for interop between add-ons for Creo.

FV
17-Peridot
17-Peridot
(To:YaroslavSin)

Hello all,

OP - you probably would need to rethink your middleware - most likely C++/CLI would not work. Try two-way pipe instead.

HIH

Top Tags