cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - New to the community? Learn how to post a question and get help from PTC and industry experts! X

Auto-populate a Revision History table

jpratt
4-Participant

Auto-populate a Revision History table

I have a requirement to auto-populate the Creo Parametric revision history table on drawings from the Windchill information (Revision, Modified By, Modified On, and Revision Description (IBA)). The Revision Description will also be a Creo parameter.

The requirement is there needs to be intelligence so that when the drawing is revised from revision 0 to revision 1, the revision history information for revision 1 is automatically applied to the next row of the revision history table from Windchill, and the revision 0 information is maintained on the drawing. The same will be true for all new revisions after that. Once the drawing is revised to revision 7, revision 0 is dropped from the revision history table, all other revision history information is shifted down one row, and then the revision 7 information is added to the last row; and so on for all revisions after that.

Does anyone have any thoughts or ideas on how to accomplish this?

2 REPLIES 2
Chris3
21-Topaz I
(To:jpratt)

We looked into this. It can't be done currently. I opened an idea for it here:

https://community.ptc.com/t5/Windchill-Ideas/Add-Windchill-parameters-for-latest-change-number-and-where-used/idi-p/470362

Ultimately though I convinced the organization to eliminate the revision block entirely and instead now we just have a statement where it used to be that says something like revision table is available upon request in Windchill.

Grace2K
4-Participant
(To:jpratt)

It can be easily done using parameters and some relations to create a shift register.

I assume PTC_WM_REVISION, PTC_WM_MODIFIED_BY, PTC_WM_MODIFIED_ON are environment parameters coming from WC.

Create the following parameters (string type) to trace the last 3 revs and shift them when a new rev occurs

RV_REVL_INDEX

RV_REVL_DESIGNER

RV_REVL_DATE

TEXT_CURRENT_REV

RV_REVS_INDEX

RV_REVS_DESIGNER

RV_REVS_DATE

RV_REVS_TEXT

RV_REVT_INDEX

RV_REVT_DESIGNER

RV_REVT_DATE

RV_REVT_TEXT

Where REVL, S, T stand for Last, Second-last, Third-last.

RV_REVL_INDEX must be set as default in your template to "00" or the default text corresponding to the text of your base revision.

Then add the following relations in your part/assembly:

IF RV_REVL_INDEX != PTC_WM_REVISION

/* begin shift register */

RV_REVT_INDEX = RV_REVS_INDEX

RV_REVS_INDEX = RV_REVL_INDEX

RV_REVL_INDEX = PTC_WM_REVISION

RV_REVT_DESIGNER = RV_REVS_DESIGNER

RV_REVS_DESIGNER = RV_REVL_DESIGNER

RV_REVL_DESIGNER = PTC_WM_MODIFIED_BY

RV_REVT_DATE = RV_REVS_DATE

RV_REVS_DATE = RV_REVL_DATE

RV_REVL_DATE = PTC_WM_MODIFIED_ON

RV_REVT_TEXT = RV_REVS_TEXT

RV_REVS_TEXT = TEXT_CURRENT_REV

ENDIF

In case of a new revision just write in TEXT_CURRENT_REV the description of the current revision.

Create a table or a note in your drawing writing your preferred parameters order.

I used the following where the last rev comes always to the top of the list.

RV_REVL_INDEX   RV_REVL_DESIGNER   RV_REVL_DATE   TEXT_CURRENT_REV

RV_REVS_INDEX   RV_REVS_DESIGNER   RV_REVS_DATE   RV_REVS_TEXT

RV_REVT_INDEX   RV_REVT_DESIGNER   RV_REVT_DATE   RV_REVT_TEXT

This is just an example, you can customize it as you want.

In case you want to trace 4 or 5 revs the trick is the same. Just add 1 or 2 new sets of parameters (4th to last, 5th to last) and add them in the relations of the shift register. You use the revision text coming from WC, just identify the corresponding parameter and include it in the shift register instead of TEXT_CURRENT_REV. I used this method in many PDM/PLMs. It always works well.

Announcements
NEW Creo+ Topics: Real-time Collaboration

Top Tags