cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Help us improve the PTC Community by taking this short Community Survey! X

Extra line in post, causes dwell. Why? How do I fix it?

jwood
3-Visitor

Extra line in post, causes dwell. Why? How do I fix it?

Thanks for reading, I hope someone can help.

Look at the attached G code (underlined code is the problem and redundant) and tell me why this is, and how to get rid of it.

Thanks

Jon

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Could this be a post problem and the sequence selection was coincidental? The are options in the option file generator to suppress or allow points with identical coordinates to be repeated (look under "Motion").

Josh

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10

Hello Jon,

Can you please elaborate by sharing a picture of the "parameters" or if possible the creo mfg file so that we can narrow down the solution.

As far as I think, this point is like a retract point or something to which the tool retracts before starting the next cut.

This could happen if you wanted to perform climb cuts throughout the operation or various other reasons.

As I asked before, please elaborate so that I could help better.

Good evening.

Hi Soorya,

Thanks for your help.

The machine operator called me over to see the marks that were left in the part, he looked at the G code and saw why the marks were left, the repetitive G code locations in the post caused the dwell that marked the part.

This only happens in Volume machining, I reposted using Trajectory, and Profile machining (with the same post) and the double line in the post was not there.

Attached are the machine parameters, I hope this helps.

Thanks

Jon

Though this is not sufficient to understand the problem, I have a few guesses

With the following piece of code

Capture.PNG

I generated your tool path the hard way!!!

1.PNG

Your tool moves from [22.625, -5.125, -.125] > [22.625, 5.125, -.125] > [6.625, 21.125, -.125] > [-6.625, 21.125, -.125] but the next line is repeating the same coordinate which is causing the dwell.

This is because the program is trying to align the tool to a correct starting position of the G03 command that follows.

This may be because of your "CORNER_FINISH_TYPE  FILLET"

or if it was a desired feature, try changing "SCAN_TYPE   TYPE_SPIRAL"

Although this might not work for your case at all,

This is all I could learn from the data provided by you. Could suggest better with the mfg file.

Could this be a post problem and the sequence selection was coincidental? The are options in the option file generator to suppress or allow points with identical coordinates to be repeated (look under "Motion").

Josh

Good Morning Josh,

I could not find a "Motion" option in my "Save a cl File" option (As I did not find a 'File Generator' option)

Can you please guide me through by sharing some screenshots?

SK

Soorya,

In Creo go to the 'Applications' tab select 'NC Post Processor' the Option File Gererator will launch, open your post file or make a new one.

I hope this helps.

Thanks for your time.

Jon

Joshua,

Thanks!

It was the post, I changed the setting and the repeat points are gone.

It was located under: Motion - General - identical points handling - changed to 'Do not output the repeat point'

Again thanks

Jon

KenFarley
21-Topaz I
(To:jwood)

Does the "raw" CL file show the same thing? I seem to remember having a similar problem because I was getting GOTO values that were slightly different in the 5th or later decimal places. The numbers that were being posted to the ".nc" file looked identical because they are rounded/truncated to four decimal places. Looking at the ".ncl" file showed the trouble. If I remember, it was because I had a weird discontinuity in my trajectory sketch that Pro/E was trying to "fix" for me.

jwood
3-Visitor
(To:KenFarley)

Ken,

I just looked at the GOTO values and 7 places after the decimal the value did change.

It's a very simple 2D part, which I modeled in Creo from a print.

It's good to know why, now how to stop it from occurring?

Thanks

Jon

KenFarley
21-Topaz I
(To:jwood)

As I said, for me it was that I had a discontinuous sketch that I was trying to trace. I have had some troubles recently that were cleared up when I changed the "accuracy" (Under the Prepare->Model Properties menu) to absolute and (in inches) 0.00001. I think they default this to Relative 0.0012 to make things speedier and appear more robust, but it causes troubles when we are attempting to make "big parts with some small features".

Either way, seems like the settings for the post processor have alleviated your problems, so good luck.

Top Tags