cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Did you know you can set a signature that will be added to all your posts? Set it here! X

High Speed Tooling Selection

jeuclide
4-Participant

High Speed Tooling Selection

Hi everyone, I was wondering what people use for high speed tooling. We are trying to figure out what or what not to get or do. Can people give there experience with diameter with respect to flute length, suppliers, special balanced tools (can't seem to find anything definitive with manufactures) will any 2 flute or single flute carbide end mill work? Heard from our machine trainer any 2 or single flute carbide would work and we have plenty of carbide tooling here in house we would like to use if possible. How much can be hanging out of holder. Max speed of machine is 40,000 RPM.

Thanks again,

Jeff

This thread is inactive and closed by the PTC Community Management Team. If you would like to provide a reply and re-open this thread, please notify the moderator and reference the thread. You may also use "Start a topic" button to ask a new question. Please be sure to include what version of the PTC product you are using so another community member knowledgeable about your version may be able to assist.
6 REPLIES 6
SteveLucas
13-Aquamarine
(To:jeuclide)

Jeff,

congrats on the new machine!! what is it?

We have a couple of makinos here with 40,000 rpm spindles. they work great. the end mill type depends on the materials you are cutting. I would assume HSK spindle taper with shrink fit holders?

jeuclide
4-Participant
(To:SteveLucas)

The machine is a Datron. Its has a collet type spindle I guess you would say. It only goes up to 8mm we primarily do aluminum and plastics with more intricate type work that's why it has a smaller capability. Do a lot of micro drilling in G-10 as small as .025" diameter. Does it really matter what type of cutter you use as long as the material you are accounting on machining is realized and it's carbide?

Jeff

SteveLucas
13-Aquamarine

Jeff,

I have heard of Datron. Nice compact machines supposed to be very fast and accurite.

I was thinking along the lines of what I do. Hard milling of tool steel from Rc35 to Rc65 where the cutter geometry and tool coating does make a difference. It makes a difference in aluminum too, but you can use a larger assortment of tools as you stated. What I would look for in aluminum mills is polished flutes for chip evacuation at high feeds. as far as G10 goes I would look for diamond coated endmills and drills because the G10 is so abrasive. But you probably know that already from working with the stuff. I use a lot of OSG and YG1 end mills. they have a large assortment of tools for aluminum and diamond coating for abrasive materials.

jeuclide
4-Participant
(To:SteveLucas)

How about flute length with respect to diameter? How much can a guy leave out of the spindle say with a .250" dia or .125" dia.?

NickMihelich
6-Contributor

I do alot of hard milling as well (OSG, Fraisa, Widia, Harveytool) flute length can really vary. If you need to really reach then use your high feed high RPM and light depths of cut. I run a 1/8 x 5/8 ball in 54Rc with no problems 1/8 x 1-1/4 gives me some chatter marks but will do the job.

SteveLucas
13-Aquamarine

Jeff,

There is no set rule of thumb for this stuff. All I can say is go by your tooling manufacturers recommendations.

If they make a tool that has a cut length that you are looking for they will also give you the speeds and feeds and depth of cut and step over for that tool as a starting point. If they don't look for another manufacturer. That is why I like OSG they have a good selection of tools and good data for those tools.

Top Tags