cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Need to share some code when posting a question or reply? Make sure to use the "Insert code sample" menu option. Learn more! X

cutcom does't work properly!

adieterich
1-Newbie

cutcom does't work properly!

I want to use cutter compensation in a profilmilling sequence. I enabled the options for cutcom, witch prints G41/G42 in my tab file.

The problem is that already in the cl-file are the wrong coordinates. They are not influenced by turning the cutcom option on.

What can I do to get the right path for my cutter compensation?

(In the attachment is my little test project)

This thread is inactive and closed by the PTC Community Management Team. If you would like to provide a reply and re-open this thread, please notify the moderator and reference the thread. You may also use "Start a topic" button to ask a new question. Please be sure to include what version of the PTC product you are using so another community member knowledgeable about your version may be able to assist.
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
RaphMORIN
13-Aquamarine
(To:adieterich)

Here are the files !

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
RaphMORIN
13-Aquamarine

I tried to open your files, but I can't because it was made with an educative license.

Have you specified the entry and exit movement to activate cutter compensation ?

Oh sorry I didn't know there is a difference between an educative license and an normal one .

I attached a screenshot of my part. As you can see i have specified the entry and exit movement.

In the cl-file you can find the codes like CUTCOM/ON and ../OFF, but in the posted coordinates there is the cutter diameter included already.

Am I right that it should post the geometry data for cutter compensation ?

Thank you in advance!

I don't really use cutter compensation much, but my basic understanding of it is that it is interpreted by the milling machine. You generate movement code from Creo that is based upon the tools you defined in the manufacturing module. These coordinates are always the same. When you run the program, you set the appropriate registers on the machine to tell it that, though you programmed the thing for a 10mm endmill, it's actually using a 9.85mm one, etc. That's the reason for using cutter compensation; you can run the same program with a resharpened endmill and account for the smaller diameter.

If I'm mistaken on this, feel free to correct me, guys.

RaphMORIN
13-Aquamarine
(To:KenFarley)

This is right Kenneth, I often use cutter compensation, this allows the workshop to adjust according to the tools diameter because we sometime use resharpened endmill and also when we mill parts with very thin tolerances.

Alexander, I reproduced your example and here is what I get (the plate is 150x100mm).

First without cutter compensation, we can see that the tool center is driven. So no matter what tool you get it will always follow the path defined by the center.

Capture_sans_correction_rayon.JPG

Then with cutter compensation on. We can see that the edge of the tool is driver. So, as Kenneth explained if a 12mm tool is used it will still follow the same path defined by it's edge.

Capture_avec_correction_rayon.JPG

With those little tests, I noticed a bug. When tool compensation is on, if you look at the CL data using this button . The CL data is wrong, it shows like tool compensation was off. To see the correct CL date you need to play the path !!

First of all thank you for your efforts But I still haven't success.

Can you send me the example file that you have created ?

RaphMORIN
13-Aquamarine

Here are the files !

Thank you so much I used the wrong operation. You used the Trajectory Milling instead of Profile Milling.

Now it works!

RaphMORIN
13-Aquamarine

I'm pleased I helped you ! In fact, I never use Profile milling as you can do exactly the same things with Trajectory milling but in a much easier way from my point of view.

If you are using Profile sequence you will need to set these parameters for cutcom to work.

LEAD_RADIUS

TANGENT_LEAD_STEP

CUT_ENTRY_EXT to LEAD_IN

CUT_EXIT_EXT to LEAD_OUT

CUTCOM to ON

Top Tags