cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Did you know you can set a signature that will be added to all your posts? Set it here! X

embedded object not showing

gd4
1-Newbie
1-Newbie

embedded object not showing

We are using CREO 3.0. We have 1 machine that when you try to embed an object using create from file ( bitmap picture) a block with the word OLE is placed on the screen. When creating a new object, the Microsoft Paint shows up and if we paste a picture in it, the same block shows up. However when you put your mouse on the block, the picture shows up.

Any suggestions to this?

This thread is inactive and closed by the PTC Community Management Team. If you would like to provide a reply and re-open this thread, please notify the moderator and reference the thread. You may also use "Start a topic" button to ask a new question. Please be sure to include what version of the PTC product you are using so another community member knowledgeable about your version may be able to assist.
7 REPLIES 7
dschenken
21-Topaz I
(To:gd4)

I have had the best luck creating a part and using a bitmap as a texture, then showing that on the drawing.

Embedding on drawings has been unreliable and difficult. I don't know what would cause the one machine to fail - I do know that it might not remain just one machine. I also know that if you set Creo to embed the textures in the model files the textured parts are very reliable.

For a long time it worked OK because Microsoft shipped products with OLE viewers for bitmaps/raster images which is what is used to display an embedded OLE bitmap/raster object. It's been a while and I don't recall what it was, but it used to ship with Office and no longer does.

gd4
1-Newbie
1-Newbie
(To:dschenken)

Thanks Dave

We had to switch machines since this users machine did not have enough memory in it. This is where it started. We just got onto Creo 3 about 2 weeks ago and are still working thru things to get working smoothly. This particular machine had been thru a lot of users and who knows what is going on with it. We have always had success with bitmaps on drawings in the past, and all other machines run fine. I suspect it is with the video card as we updated the drivers for it.

We will look into the Microsoft part some more.

mweiler
3-Visitor

If you search for the Document CS97889, the default value for Ole images may need to be increased to allow an embedded image in Creo to be displayed properly. We increased this value to 1GB on our publishers.

Current value 4101e000 in Hexadecimal or 1090641920 in decimal (1GB)

Here is our Registry Edit script:

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Ole]

"MaximumAllowedAllocationSize"=dword:4101e000

gd4
1-Newbie
1-Newbie
(To:mweiler)

There is no such registry script in that location on that machine or on any of our machines.

The problem is that when in a drawing, the operator goes into "insert object" and the "create new" works by bringing Microsoft paint up and importing the bitmap into it and the image shows up. It is when he tries to use "create from file" that it does not recognize the image and a block with the word "OLE" shows up.

mweiler
3-Visitor

Hi Gary,

If the registry entry is missing, just add it.

Full details can be found here:

https://support.ptc.com/appserver/cs/view/solution.jsp?n=CS103788&art_lang=en&posno=1&q=CS97889&source=search

It looks like this registry setting was intended to fix the error "Failed to save an OLE object inside the drawing..."

I used this to fix a different error on our publishers. Some embedded objects were shown as a blank box.

Adding this registry value allowed the embedded images to be displayed correctly.

I just thought this might also help your display problem.

gd4
1-Newbie
1-Newbie
(To:mweiler)

I created the key in the registry and set it to 1GB. It still does the same thing. I did notice one thing while in the registry and that was DWORD is for 32 bit, and QWORD is for 64 bit.

Now all our machines are running 64 bit. Does this cause an issue with the setting in 32 bit?

rnewell-2
1-Newbie

G'day Gary,

I've had similar issues. Try opening the file in MS Paint before you import the bitmap into the drawing (keep MS paint open while you import the bitmap). Apparently the default maximum resolution is 150 dpi. I've found varyying levels of success by modifying the amount of colours and the image resolution. I'm about to try changing the maximum resolution to 600dpi next.

Best of luck!

Top Tags