cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - You can subscribe to a forum, label or individual post and receive email notifications when someone posts a new topic or reply. Learn more! X

Conversion errors

BE_9132546
2-Guest

Conversion errors

I am using Mathcad Prime Release 4.0 and DatecodeN/A

When attempting to convert an old file it gives an error. I have ran the mcregister exe as it requests but also receive an error within the log file that it generates.

Here are the errors that I faced
The conversion cannot be started. The issue may be caused by a previous version of mathcad on your system.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
LucMeekes
23-Emerald III
(To:BE_9132546)

Here's the file converted to Prime 4.

Success!
Luc

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8

I have attached a screenshot of the error and the log file as well.

LucMeekes
23-Emerald III

With 'old file' you probably mean a (real) mathcad file, one with an extension .mcd, .xmcd or .xmcdz, as generated by Mathcad 15 and before.

For conversion of such files with Prime 4 you need to have Mathcad 15 installed and working on the same PC as where you have Prime 4 on. (This is no longer required with Prime 7 and higher).

Please confirm that you have Mathcad 15 installed, and working, on your PC. This may not be the case due to

the following announcement - "Official PTC Mathcad 15 and Prime 1–6 End-of-Sale Announcement": https://community.ptc.com/t5/Mathcad-Tips/Official-PTC-Mathcad-15-and-Prime-1-6-End-of-Sale-Announce...

Alternatively you could attach the worksheet to your reply and ask if someone will convert it for you.

Success!
Luc

Thank you very much for your reply.

The end user does have mathcad 15 still installed, however I am curious if the newer version does not require 15 to still be installed, if we can just update to the latest version. Does upgrading from 4 to 7 require additional licensing?

LucMeekes
23-Emerald III

Surely:

1.   Prime 7 and 8 do not require Mathcad 15 for conversion to Prime format, UNLESS... the file you are trying to convert contains password locked regions. (You will need Mathcad 15 and the password(s) to be able to save a version of the file with those regions unlocked.)

2.  Prime 8 will require new licensing (I don't think you can buy a Prime 7 license anymore, as 7=8-1). After all, it's a completely new version, loaded with new features such as a completely new symbolic engine and an additional plotting facility. PTC will want to be rewarded for that, otherwise they might have insufficient funding to bring that new symbolic engine and plotting facility up to standards.

Success!
Luc

If you pay for a subscription licence of Mathcad Prime, or if you have a perpetual licence but pay support, then you already are entitled to download Mathcad Prime 7 or 8.

If not, and nothing shows up here https://support.ptc.com/appserver/auth/it/esd/index.jsp , then you'll have to talk with PTC to either pay back-support or convert to a subscription.

I manage the Creo and PTC Mathcad YouTube channels for PTC, as well as all PTC Mathcad marketing in general.

Thank you to both of you for responding to me.

I have spoken with the user having this issue and presented the options to him, and they do not have a perpetual subscription, but will bring that up with upper management to see if that can be obtained, but has asked me if I could share the file with you to see if you can upgrade it for him in the meantime.

Thanks again for your help.

LucMeekes
23-Emerald III

Here's the file converted to Prime 4.

Success!
Luc

Thanks again!

Top Tags