cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

We are aware of an issue affecting subscription email notifications. We are working to address the problem, but in the meantime be sure to check your favorite boards for new topics.

Falsely read complex numbers from a textfile

TV_kmi
3-Visitor

Falsely read complex numbers from a textfile

I am using Mathcad Prime Release 9.0 and Datecode9.0.0.0

Hello.
When reading complex numbers from a text file (1 complex floating point value per line) into a vector, the following phenomenon appears: From the samples 500, 1000, 1500, ... (sample counting 0, 1, 2, ...) only the real part enters into the vector. I searched the vicinity of sample 500 for special characters that are invisible on the screen, but could eventually cause skipping the imaginary part during the reading procedure. I didn't find any special character except 0D and 0A (hex) "carriage return", "line feed"

Here are the errors that I faced
No error message or warning

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
LucMeekes
23-Emerald III
(To:TV_kmi)

Ah, I see you are using Prime, and probably used the READFILE function, with "delimited" as the second argument.

Guess there's a bug in that function:

LucMeekes_0-1692949273081.png

You should consider reporting that bug.

Unfortunately READPRN is not capable (anymore) to read such files. Seems like PTC managed to ruin that function going from Mathcad to Prime:

LucMeekes_1-1692949375371.png

But there's a work-around. If you edit the .txt file with notepad, replace all + with a space character and all i with nothing and save the result (as a text file with e.g. extension ".PRN" instead of txt),  you can read this file with READPRN. You get a matrix with two columns as I showed earlier, from which you can reconstruct the array of complex values.

Success!

Luc

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
VladimirN
24-Ruby II

Please upload your text file here.

The textfile is named "224015_TFHF_sm_trunc300Hz.txt". No header, One column, One complex number per line.

LucMeekes
23-Emerald III

Ah, I see you are using Prime, and probably used the READFILE function, with "delimited" as the second argument.

Guess there's a bug in that function:

LucMeekes_0-1692949273081.png

You should consider reporting that bug.

Unfortunately READPRN is not capable (anymore) to read such files. Seems like PTC managed to ruin that function going from Mathcad to Prime:

LucMeekes_1-1692949375371.png

But there's a work-around. If you edit the .txt file with notepad, replace all + with a space character and all i with nothing and save the result (as a text file with e.g. extension ".PRN" instead of txt),  you can read this file with READPRN. You get a matrix with two columns as I showed earlier, from which you can reconstruct the array of complex values.

Success!

Luc

LucMeekes
23-Emerald III

What did you use to read the file.

I used READPRN, resulting in a 2 column matrix, the first column contains the real parts, the second column contains the imaginary parts:

LucMeekes_1-1692944673915.png

LucMeekes_2-1692945106930.png

Success!
Luc

MichaelW
17-Peridot

This issue has been reported to PTC R&D to determine how to resolve the issue

CS401987 Reading complex numbers from a text file (1 complex floating point value per line) into a vector using READFILE() or READTEXT() works fine, except that lines 500, 1000, 1500, etc. get just the real part, miss the complex part in Mathcad Prime

Top Tags