cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Have a PTC product question you need answered fast? Chances are someone has asked it before. Learn about the community search. X

Second copy of Mathcad 8.0 Does not recognize previously written program on 8.0

Resrchintl
4-Participant

Second copy of Mathcad 8.0 Does not recognize previously written program on 8.0

I wrote a rather long Mathcad program on my laptop over vacation based on a trial copy of Mathcad 8.0 (The trial period is up to the end of June) but unfortunately the PC died- but I had stored the program on a memory stick. Wanting to continue the evaluation of Mathcad 8.0, my wife downloaded a copy onto this second PC. I tried a simple test program that included a subroutine and it worked. However, when I tried to load the old program written while on vacation, a message appears that "The file type is not supported. Log file is located at C:\ProgramData\PTC\Mathcad Prime\Logs\MathcadPrime_Exception_20220619_111012.log." But there is no such "Logs" directory on the C-drive to look at, and to my eye, the file extensions look exactly the same. What gives? We have two licensed copies of Mathcad at our company and as a lead new product developer, I wanted to see if a personal copy was worthwhile.
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Resrchintl
4-Participant
(To:LucMeekes)

Dear Luc- the repaired code is a flawless version of the 40 page original- and so much shorter in size than the corrupted file!  Thank you so much.   😀

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10

Cause of "missing" log file:

Consider C:\ProgramData is a hidden folder.

Solution:

Ignore it and enter the specific path in an Windows Explorer (Shortkey: WindowsKey+E) window's path

OR change all Windows Explorer window's >View >Options >Folder and Search Options >View >Show hidden files and folders = enabled >Apply to Folders

Cause of exception message:

Once the log file has been identified, one can open and read in a text editor program. All issues are stated there.

Note: Typically a "corrupted" Mathcad worksheet message does include empty ones (0 KB size) or worksheets with wrong file type suffix.

Correct is: mcdx, mctx

Solution:

No chance with a 0KB size file

OR: simply rename the file's suffix

OR: PTC customers file a new case to PTC technical support to try to fix that file:

https://www.ptc.com/en/support/case-logger

once the file is fixed it should be possible to retrieve in Mathcad Prime 8. But it won't get calculated without valid license.

Resrchintl
4-Participant
(To:MWunder)

The program already had the correct extension. Is this possibly related to the fact that the core project was an existing Mathcad 2001 program I first converted to 8.0? That base was about 1MB in size, and another 1Mb was added in 8.0 format. This all constitutes about 40 hours of code development and will be painful to rebuild from scratch. The combined supposedly fully updated program executed with no issue on the Windows 10 PC that died, but trying to run the copy on the replacement Samsung Windows 11 laptop gives the following errors:
File location : C:\ProgramData\PTC\Mathcad Prime\Logs\MathcadPrime_Exception_20220619_103213.log
Build Number : 2022.03.01.001
System Culture : en-US; Current UI Culture : en-US
Architecture: x64
Application version is: PTC Mathcad Prime 8.0.0.0
Current license type is: Trial
Exception data:
File being opened: D:\Algorithm Design\Ancam models+intgl, 220614.mcdx
FileFormatException when processing file
System.IO.FileFormatException: File contains corrupted data.
at MS.Internal.IO.Zip.ZipIOEndOfCentralDirectoryBlock.FindPosition(Stream archiveStream)
at MS.Internal.IO.Zip.ZipIOEndOfCentralDirectoryBlock.SeekableLoad(ZipIOBlockManager blockManager)
at MS.Internal.IO.Zip.ZipArchive..ctor(Stream archiveStream, FileMode mode, FileAccess access, Boolean streaming, Boolean ownStream)
at MS.Internal.IO.Zip.ZipArchive.OpenOnStream(Stream stream, FileMode mode, FileAccess access, Boolean streaming)
at System.IO.Packaging.ZipPackage..ctor(Stream s, FileMode mode, FileAccess access, Boolean streaming)
at System.IO.Packaging.Package.Open(Stream stream, FileMode packageMode, FileAccess packageAccess, Boolean streaming)
at Ptc.Controls.EngineeringDocument.OpenPackageStream(String fullFilePath)
at Ptc.Controls.EngineeringDocument.OpenPackage(FileLoadResult& result, String fileName, Boolean newFromDocument)
at Ptc.Controls.EngineeringDocument.OpenFileAndUpdateCWDState(String fileName)
Host Name: DESKTOP-RR3618E
OS Name: Microsoft Windows 11 Home
OS Version: 10.0.22000 N/A Build 22000
OS Manufacturer: Microsoft Corporation
OS Configuration: Standalone Workstation
OS Build Type: Multiprocessor Free
Registered Owner: elricsaaski@resrchintl.com

LucMeekes
23-Emerald III
(To:Resrchintl)

"Is this possibly related to the fact that the core project was an existing Mathcad 2001 program I first converted to 8.0?"

No, not likely. Prime doesn't need excuses to corrupt worksheet files, it is known to do so at it own initiative.

In order for a repair attempt, the .log file isn't necessary, the corrupt(ed) worksheet file (.mcdx file) is required however. Attach it to this thread if you want someone to attempt a repair...

Success!
Luc

Resrchintl
4-Participant

Here is a copy of the offending progam.
LucMeekes
23-Emerald III

You forgot to attach...?

Or was the attachment refused? In that case, put the .mcdx file in a .zip archive and attach that.

Success!
Luc

Resrchintl
4-Participant

Dear Luc: No, I see the .mcdx file is attached in the "sent" folder. Is there something different that must be done here compared to a normal 'attach' process? I am attaching it once more. It's about 2Mb in size. Maybe I should send it by way of Edge instead?
LucMeekes
23-Emerald III

Assuming you're using the online forum, the form to place any content looks like this:

LucMeekes_0-1655975908373.png

Success!
Luc

Resrchintl
4-Participant

OK, I think this will work.  Never used a forum before!

LucMeekes
23-Emerald III

Check if this works for you.

Success!
Luc

Resrchintl
4-Participant

Dear Luc- the repaired code is a flawless version of the 40 page original- and so much shorter in size than the corrupted file!  Thank you so much.   😀

Top Tags