cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Learn all about the Community Ranking System, a fun gamification element of the PTC Community. X

computer died, need to reinstall on a new machine without network access

MC_8471139
4-Participant

computer died, need to reinstall on a new machine without network access

Need to reinstall on new machine (offline) after loss of old machine. Please advise
5 REPLIES 5
BenLoosli
23-Emerald II
(To:MC_8471139)

commercial or student version?

You can request a license for your new computer by moving the old one to the new NIC address.

MC_8471139
4-Participant
(To:BenLoosli)

Commercial license, but for an old version (Mathcad 14). I cannot navigate PTC.com without an SCN or customer number. Even the phone support (which is practically invisible) needed info besides the product code... so I left a message... and then I tried to file a case with globalsupport@ptc. I guess I'll wait to see if I hear back. Thanks!

BenLoosli
23-Emerald II

If you have your old license file, it should have your customer number in it.

If you are the site administrator, you can download a customer report file that would have all of your numbers in it.

I know finding the right page for moving licenses between computers is not easy to find, but it is there and does work.

MC_8471139
4-Participant
(To:BenLoosli)

I have not found a customer number, yet. However, the license.dat file has PTC_HOSTID which seems to be linked to the hard disk serial number. So far, I cannot get an answer from PTC about this... but they had enough time shoot me a message suggesting I should upgrade to the latest version 🙂

Thanks for the help... I'm still working on it.

MC_8471139
4-Participant

I was informed by a colleague that the procedure _was_ to email Mathcad-license@PTC.com with the serial number of the hard drive and the disk number being used for installation, and then PTC would send back a license file that had to be stored on the same hard drive.  I tried that and it failed... asked me instead to call or use ptc.com/support. Both of these options require things I don't have (and which seems clear was not available with Mathcad 14). I can only assume they don't want my business anymore. This is getting to be too much.

Top Tags