cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Have a PTC product question you need answered fast? Chances are someone has asked it before. Learn about the community search. X

φ vs.Φ

Raiko
17-Peridot

φ vs.Φ

I have just noticed that the lower case φ is on a different key than the capital Φ. Is this on purpose? Has anybody noticed other mismatches?

Raiko

P.S. Running Prime 8 on a Win 10 machine

ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Werner_E
25-Diamond I
(To:Raiko)

I guess it was done on purpose and while I am using a German keyboard, too, I don't think it has to do with different national keyboard layouts.

The capital Phi we get by "F" followed by Ctrl-G.

Werner_E_1-1666352731377.png

Pressing "f" and Ctrl-G gives us

Werner_E_2-1666352756304.png

which indeed is some sort of lower case phi, but sure not the one I would prefer.

To get the desired lower case phi we have to use "j" and Ctrl-G, as you probably found out yourself

Werner_E_3-1666352779455.png

If you look for the Greek alphabet in Wikipedia (https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Griechisches_Alphabet#Klassische_Zeichen) you can see that the lower case phi preferred by Prime is indeed listed as being a variant to the"normal" one we would prefer.

This said I sure would appreciate PTC to exchange the keyboard shorts for the two different lower case phi.

But then it may indeed be a case of national differences. I notice that in LaTeX you get the "ugly" phi by writing \phi and the "normal" one by using \varphi. So "our" phi is considered being the variant in LaTeX.

So maybe in the US the phi preferred by Prime is the "standard" one ?? But then I ask myself why real Mathcad uses "our" standard phi, which IMHO also is much less easy to confuse with the large Phi than the one preferred by Prime.

View solution in original post

12 REPLIES 12
VladimirN
24-Ruby II

Hi Raiko,

Please specify which keyboard layout are you using?

Raiko
17-Peridot
(To:VladimirN)

I'm using a German keyboard layout

Werner_E
25-Diamond I

I guess it was done on purpose and while I am using a German keyboard, too, I don't think it has to do with different national keyboard layouts.

The capital Phi we get by "F" followed by Ctrl-G.

Werner_E_1-1666352731377.png

Pressing "f" and Ctrl-G gives us

Werner_E_2-1666352756304.png

which indeed is some sort of lower case phi, but sure not the one I would prefer.

To get the desired lower case phi we have to use "j" and Ctrl-G, as you probably found out yourself

Werner_E_3-1666352779455.png

If you look for the Greek alphabet in Wikipedia (https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Griechisches_Alphabet#Klassische_Zeichen) you can see that the lower case phi preferred by Prime is indeed listed as being a variant to the"normal" one we would prefer.

This said I sure would appreciate PTC to exchange the keyboard shorts for the two different lower case phi.

But then it may indeed be a case of national differences. I notice that in LaTeX you get the "ugly" phi by writing \phi and the "normal" one by using \varphi. So "our" phi is considered being the variant in LaTeX.

So maybe in the US the phi preferred by Prime is the "standard" one ?? But then I ask myself why real Mathcad uses "our" standard phi, which IMHO also is much less easy to confuse with the large Phi than the one preferred by Prime.

Raiko
17-Peridot
(To:Werner_E)

Yes, the non-standard ϕ can easily be mixed up with the diameter sign Ø. I do however prefer the proper (read: classical) φ for obvious reasons.

Werner_E
25-Diamond I

@Raiko wrote:

Yes, the non-standard ϕ can easily be mixed up with the diameter sign Ø. I do however prefer the proper (read: classical) φ for obvious reasons.

Fully agreed on and I sure prefer the "proper" phi, too.
But I won't expect PTC to change the behaviour in Prime.

Es gibt auch die russische letter Ф

LucMeekes
23-Emerald III

I don't see any differences with good old Mathcad:

LucMeekes_0-1666546889749.png

Maybe in a version later than 11 they switched f and j?

(And in Prime they went back to the situation of Mathcad 11. Then it might be linked to static unit checking 🙂 )

Luc

Werner_E
25-Diamond I
(To:LucMeekes)

Maybe in a version later than 11 they switched f and j?

This seems to be the case.

Here is Mathcad 15

Werner_E_0-1666551488223.png

Raiko
17-Peridot
(To:LucMeekes)

Weird,

in Mathcad 15 (M050)

F + Ctrl g turns into Φ

f + Ctrl g turns into φ

j+ Ctrl g turns into Φ

My computer