cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Help us improve the PTC Community by taking this short Community Survey! X

3D on Windows 7

MortenB-disable
1-Newbie

3D on Windows 7

I've been running MCD14 M030 on XP until recently, where i changed to Windows 7 Professional..

Now, my 3D plot's doesn't show up anymore... no errors, no nothing.. just an empty box, where the plot ought to be...
The plot is somewhere behind the emptiness, because when i drag it, i can see that the tilt, rotation and twist in the "3D plot format" is changing...

I've tried disabling the borders, as that sometimes helps with people running windows Vista, but no good...

Any ideas for a solution?!
10 REPLIES 10

Go to Mathcad folder, locate mathcad.exe and with Alt-Enter go to the properties of the executable. There try to disable some visuals effects, like desktop composition and others. Sometimes this works.

Regards. Alvaro.

#adiaz - I tried disabling the visual effects etc, but with no luck... Any other suggestions?

#georg - i'd almost guessed that, but perhaps there is a workaround this problem somehow... Is there any version of MathCAD compatible with win7? and if so - Which?

MC14 is not designed for Windows7 up to M035, as I was told by PTC support. You probably will experience more problems, e.g. scripting does not work.

Try learning

www.microsoft.com/windows/virtual-pc/default.aspx

They says that "Windows Virtual PC, a feature of Windows 7, provides you the capability to run multiple Windows environments such as Windows XP Mode from your Windows 7 desktop."

But don't know if this can solve the problem.

Regards. Alvaro.

I tried installing Virtual PC (XP), but it is like a brand new PC, where everything has to be installed from scratch - and the wireless internet connection doesn't work in there, so i can't use it for anything, since my MCD is running on a license from a license server...

I've talked to a couple of others, who has Windows 7, and it seems it's not everyone having the problem... So perhaps, it's a GPU-driver-issue? I have, though, installed the most recent version of the labtop manufacturers driver...

Any other suggestions as of what to do?

On 12/10/2009 2:56:40 AM, MortenB wrote:
>I tried installing Virtual PC (XP), but it is like a brand new PC, where everything has to be installed from scratch

It's an emergency solution, not the final set.

>and the wireless internet connection doesn't work in there,

Not install network hardware in the windows inside the virtual machine, choose this for internet connection:

Regards. Alvaro.

I had a similar experience, a 3-D scatter plot that looked fine with MathCad 14.020 on Windows XP and what looked like a blank plot (but flashing very briefly when recomputed) on Windows 7/64. Curiously, "dragging" the plot to rotate the axes caused the plot to appear until I stopped moving it.

Found a "fix" on the Web that had to do with enabling/disabling "borders" on the plot. After fiddling a bit (turning borders both on and off), the plot suddenly appeared! Weird!

See if this works for you.

Bob Schor

On 3/27/2010 3:37:49 PM, bschor wrote:
>I had a similar experience, a
>3-D scatter plot that looked
>fine with MathCad 14.020 on
>Windows XP and what looked
>like a blank plot (but
>flashing very briefly when
>recomputed) on Windows 7/64.
>Curiously, "dragging" the plot
>to rotate the axes caused the
>plot to appear until I stopped
>moving it.
>
>Found a "fix" on the Web that
>had to do with
>enabling/disabling "borders"
>on the plot. After fiddling a
>bit (turning borders both on
>and off), the plot suddenly
>appeared! Weird!
>
>See if this works for you.
>
>Bob Schor

Many times mentioned about W 7 32 decimals calculation result. Could it be the Mathcad 14 can't put all those decimals in the "buffer" [buffer so to speak]. It makes sense that by clicking in the border it forces the buffer to truncate ??? But what makes more sense is the color levels ... W7 wants to push too much maybe ? What about the compatibility of W7 graphic driver and Mathcad 14 ? While it refuses to plot, have you tried to scroll the sheet up to the point it touches the top of the Mathcad sheet ?

jmG

Users have had success installing Mathcad on Windows 7, as long as they set themselves as the administrator.

As to the 3D plots, make sure you have the latest graphic and video drivers, if turning off borders didn't help.

You can also try turning down graphic acceleration.

Mona
ELSID
4-Participant
(To:mzeftel)

Mona has a point. In AutoCAD, it has been found (read the forums) that reducing the "Hardware Acceleration" about two notches helped in the 3D modeling. It apparently forced the graphic card to kick in. The tweak worked on my XP machine for AutoCAD.
Announcements

Top Tags