cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Have a PTC product question you need answered fast? Chances are someone has asked it before. Learn about the community search. X

A new computer

Fred_Kohlhepp
23-Emerald I

A new computer

Is there a way to install Prime 4.0 on a new computer?

15 REPLIES 15

You can't download the installation files for P4 from PTC anymore, but if you did way back and kept the files, I guess you should be able to use them.
I don't expect PTC to send you a licence file for a 30 day trial period - for legal reasons they can't do so anymore (muPad from Mathworks). But I think you will end up with Prime Express right away.

have you already tried to install P4 on a new machine and experienced troubles?

Just have the computer, haven’t tried to install any version yet. PTC will allow back to version 7 (I think).

My old (tired but still functional) computer has 4 thru 9; I’ve been thinking of trying to copy the program files of 4.0 from that one. Version 10 express would be functionally equiv to 4 express except for the banner . . .

Yes, PTC can't provide installation files for Prime version prior to 7 as the older versions are bundled with that old muPAd version and PTC has no rights anymore to distribute them.

If you still have the Prime 4 installation file, I would give it a try right ahead (before you install any newer version).
Simply copying the files doesn't necessarily work - but it would be worth a try if you can't find the installation file for P4.

The huge banner in P10 Express sure is a reason to rather use P4E. The only way to get rid of it in P10 (apart from buying an annual license) would be to edit two DLL files with a hex editor, and that would most likely be a violation of the license terms.

Good luck!

NickKemaev
6-Contributor
(To:Werner_E)

Fred_Kohlhepp.Write me an email, don't take it as impudence, I'll try to help.

nick5578@rambler.ru

Hi Fred,

"...Version 10 express would be functionally equiv to 4 express except for the banner . . . "

I would better install Prime 3.1, where the banner in the footer can be covered by a picture 😂

Fred_Kohlhepp
23-Emerald I
(To:skunks)

Version 4 has the same banner as 3.1 (I believe). The problem lies in the fact that the installation program for either of those is no longer available on the website.

Hi Fred,

In version 4 the banner cannot be hidden, but in version 3.1 it works.

Creo Parametric 3.0 installation also includes Prime 3.1. So if you can get a Creo Parametric (3.0 or 4.0) installation...

I have a CD-ROM for Prime 3.1

LucMeekes
23-Emerald III

Here's Prime 4 express with the banner exposed:

LucMeekes_1-1724779836078.png

as well as hidden in the footer:

LucMeekes_0-1724779753979.png

Success!
Luc

🤔 what happens during PDF export?

LucMeekes
23-Emerald III

Point taken.

But with a text box filled with spaces it works, if you set the text properties to a coloured background (I used light green here, can also be white):

LucMeekes_1-1724837318596.png

in pdf:

LucMeekes_0-1724837245186.png

Success!
Luc

Mathcad Express 3.1 makes it easy (example attached).
Of course we use Prime 10, we have 4 leased licenses.

Hi,

the following suggestion is not very elegant ... but I hope it will work.

You can virtualize your "old" computer and run it as virtual machine on your "new" computer.

Martin Hanák
Werner_E
25-Diamond I
(To:MartinHanak)

@MartinHanak wrote:

Hi,

You can virtualize your "old" computer and run it as virtual machine on your "new" computer.

I fear that the license would not be accepted because of a different MAC (not even if you assign the virtual NIC the same MAC the license is bound to).

@Werner_E wrote:

@MartinHanak wrote:

Hi,

I fear that the license would not be accepted because of a different MAC (not even if you assign the virtual NIC the same MAC the license is bound to).

Hi,

Note 1: Mathcad Prime Express doe not have any license file.

Note 2: VirtualBox enables you set any MAC address for virtual machine and it works the same way as MAC address of physical network card.

Martin Hanák
Werner_E
25-Diamond I
(To:MartinHanak)

Yes, I forgot that Fred is using Express - so the license file does not matter.

Concerning Note 2 I am not sure. I think I once tried in the past and while Mathcad (15) worked OK, Prime refused to do so.
Same is true for using a single user license via a RDP connection - Mathcad works, Prime doesn't.

Announcements

Top Tags