cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Did you get called away in the middle of writing a post? Don't worry you can find your unfinished post later in the Drafts section of your profile page. X

Animation of an x-y diagram

AlfredFlaßhaar
13-Aquamarine

Animation of an x-y diagram

Again, here I am asking for help in animating a chart. I can't get a moving dot/symbol moving on the red curve. In particular, I am not able to successfully define the symbol and its movement parameters in the diagram.
Kind regards, Alfred Flasshaar

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

The attached file should help!

Ani.gif

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11

The attached file should help!

Ani.gif

Here is a slight variation

ani2.gif

(The predrawn red dotted path was partially 'deleted' by the conversion avi->gif. See the attached original avi for comparison.)

Thank you very much. Apparently I'm too clumsy with software. This illustrates the solution of a modeled tracking problem: "Monthly Notebooks for Mathematics", Volume 64, Issue 4, Page 305, 1959.

@AlfredFlaßhaar wrote:

Thank you very much. Apparently I'm too clumsy with software. This illustrates the solution of a modeled tracking problem: "Monthly Notebooks for Mathematics", Volume 64, Issue 4, Page 305, 1959.

It's alIt's all a matter of experience and practice. The more you work with these animations, the better you will be able to handle them and realize how much you can do with just one automatically changing variable (FRAME).

is it possible to provide a link to the journal you reference?

Here the link:
https://gdz.sub.uni-goettingen.de/id/PPN362162050_0064
I hope I'm not violating the forum rules.

@AlfredFlaßhaar wrote:

Here the link:
https://gdz.sub.uni-goettingen.de/id/PPN362162050_0064
I hope I'm not violating the forum rules.

I can't for the life of me imagine that this linking could be interpreted by anyone as a violation of forum rules.
These rules are more about a reasonable tone and also about not praising the competitor's products to the skies or even linking to them. There is currently a thread about this:
https://community.ptc.com/t5/Mathcad/Let-the-Flames-Begin/m-p/853676/highlight/true#M204981

Thanks for the link!

The German title of the publication was definitely familiar to me, but I (and the search engine) couldn't do anything with your English translation of the same. I also thought at first that you might mean the "American Mathematical Monthly",

When I read the names Hlawka and Hofreiter on the title page, memories are awakened. I was allowed to experience Hlawka in lectures myself, Hofreiter is only known to me from stories of others and because of a few publications.

Follower curves have been discussed here quite often in the forum, often initiated by Valery. He also linked to a thread here in which he collected corresponding animations as accompanying material for his book. Other threads on the subject of follower curves, the three-body problem, etc. can probably be brought to light again here in the forum using the (somewhat cumbersome) search function. A search for "mice" or "wolf and hare" can also be promising.

e.g. https://community.ptc.com/t5/Mathcad/Wolf-and-hare-one-old-problem-with-simple-Mathcad-solution/m-p/743845/highlight/true#M196886

Translated by Andra Chirila using Google Translate on February 8, 2023
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Unter dem deutschen Titel war mir die Publikation durchaus auch ein Begriff, aber mit deiner englischen Übersetzung desselben konnte ich (und auch die Suchmaschine) nichts anfangen. Ich dachte da zuerst auch, du könntest vielleicht das "American Mathematical Monthly" meinen,

Wenn ich da im Titelblatt die Namen Hlawka und Hofreiter lese, werden Erinnerungen wach. Hlawka durfte ich ja selbst noch in Vorlesungen erleben, Hofreiter ist mir nur nur aus Erzählungen anderer und wegen ein paar Publikationen ein Begriff.

Verfolgerkurven wurden schon recht häufig hier im Forum behandelt, oftmals initiiert durch Valery. Er hat ja hier auch zu einem Thread verlinkt, in dem er entsprechende Animationen als Begleitmaterial zu seinem Buch gesammelt hat. Andere Threads zu dem Themen Verfolgerkurven, Drei-Körper-Problem, etc. lassen sich vermutlich durch die (etwas sperrige) Suchfunktion hier im Forum wieder ans Tageslicht bringen. Auch eine Suche nach "mice" oder "wolf and hare" kann erfolgversprechend sein.

zB https://community.ptc.com/t5/Mathcad/Wolf-and-hare-one-old-problem-with-simple-Mathcad-solution/m-p/743845/highlight/true#M196886

I came across the article from page 305 of the named source by chance when I was dealing with Weyl (Weyl's theorem!) and Hlawka and the "uniform distribution mod 1". At retirement age, I finally have the opportunity to deal with interesting things. The reason for this was the puzzle of finding natural numbers in the decimal system that start with 2023. This is how you get promoted from one problem to the next ;-).

Thanks again for the help, it works.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Auf den Artikel von Seite 305 der benannten Quelle stieß ich zufällig, als ich mich mit Weyl (Satz von Weyl !) und Hlawka und der "Gleichverteilung mod 1" beschäftigte. Im Ruhestandsalter habe ich nun endlich Gelegenheit, mich mit interessanten Sachen zu befassen. Anlaß war die Knobelaufgabe, natürliche Zahlen im Dezimalsystem zu finden, die mit 2023 beginnen. So wird man von einem Problem ins nächste befördert ;-).

Nochmals Dank für die Hilfe, es funktioniert.

I have to admit that neither the Weyl theorem nor the uniform distribution mod 1 rang a bell for me. But luckily there is the Dr, Google. Certainly interesting topics, with which time will probably also be scarce in retirement.

To what extent the natural numbers beginning with 2023 could be a puzzle is not clear to me ad hoc (and certainly not the connection with Weyl and mod 1). I would naively say that these are the numbers 2023*10^n+<any n-digit number including leading zeros> with n∊ℕ .
Anyway, now it's getting very off-topic.

Ich muss gestehen, dass bei mir weder beim Satz von Weyl, noch bei der Gleichverteilung mod 1 etwas geklingelt hat. Aber da gibts zum Glück den Dr, Google. Sicher interessante Themen, mit denen vermutlich auch im Ruhestand die Zeit knapp wird.

Inwieweit die natürlichen Zahlen, die mit 2023 beginnen, eine Knobelaufgabe sein könnten, erschließt sich mir jetzt ad hoc nicht (und schon gar nicht der Zusammenhang mit Weyl und mod 1). Ich würde naiv sagen, dass es sich um die Zahlen 2023*10^n+<beliebige n-stellige Zahl inkl. führender Nullen> mit n∊ℕ  handelt.
Aber wie auch immer, jetzt wirds schon sehr off-topic. 😉

Powers of 2 beginning with 2023 were sought.

p. s.

Potenzen der 2 waren gesucht, die mit 2023 beginnen.

OK, that sounds more interesting then...

OK, das klingt dann schon spannender ...

Top Tags