cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Want the oppurtunity to discuss enhancements to PTC products? Join a working group! X

BUG when constructing new matrix when original has units

tslewis
11-Garnet

BUG when constructing new matrix when original has units

PRIME 6

Weird bug. I want to create a new matrix where the new second column is a list of integers giving the row index,

If the original vector of values contains units then the second column is always set to 1.

if i non-dimensionalize i get the expected result but it is of no use as i have lost the units.

tslewis_0-1590537169651.png

19 REPLIES 19

I can verify this indeed strange bug (also using Prime 6)

But why do you think that your "case 3" is incorrect?

I added a "case 4" which looks OK to me, too.

You can also see, that defining f as a function on worksheet level produces the same faulty result as the local definition.

Werner_E_0-1590538459224.png

agree case 3 is correct but i want CASE 1 to work. 

@tslewis wrote:

agree case 3 is correct but i want CASE 1 to work. 

Then you may use the workaround shown below by replacing "r" by "r*1".

AHha, weird, yes this seems to explcitly assign r as in integer. Any reason for this weird behavior? Thanks Werner

CASE 6 works

tslewis_0-1590541338607.png

@tslewis wrote:

AHha, weird, yes this seems to explcitly assign r as in integer. Any reason for this weird behavior? Thanks Werner

No, I have no idea how this bug would occur.
Its definitely a bug introduced with Prime as real Mathcad would not allow for mixed dimensions in an array.

When the bug occurs r seems to be replaced by the last value in the loop (which internally is used). Using a math expression like "times 1" seems to force the program to use the current loop value as it should.

But why this happens only when the return value in the "yes" branch has a unit - no idea.

StuartBruff
23-Emerald II
(To:Werner_E)

I can't remember the details, but I have a feeling that this is an old bug and may have been reported to PTC some time ago.

I also seem to recall that there were other circumstances where this kind of behaviour was apparent.

Cheers,

Stuart

@StuartBruff wrote:
I can't remember the details, but I have a feeling that this is an old bug and may have been reported to PTC some time ago.

I can't remember but unfortunately that doesn't mean anything when said by me.

The only bug concerning the "matrix" function I can remember is, thats it not ORIGIN-aware. This was reported way back in the times of real Mathcad and also for Prime. The bug got never fixed:

Werner_E_0-1590664314184.png

StuartBruff
23-Emerald II

@Werner_E wrote:

@StuartBruff wrote:

I can't remember but unfortunately that doesn't mean anything when said by me.

The only bug concerning the "matrix" function I can remember is, thats it not ORIGIN-aware. This was reported way back in the times of real Mathcad and also for Prime. The bug got never fixed:

Werner_E_0-1590664314184.png

As I almost always use ORIGIN = 0, I don't recall noticing that one.

The thing that struck me as familiar about this thread's case is multiplying a variable by 1 seemed to cure the problem.

Stuart

I'll bet 10-1 that I'd win in a bad memory competition ... 😈

LucMeekes
23-Emerald III

In Mathcad 11 that was not a bug, according to the online help:

LucMeekes_1-1590679833394.png

Explicitly uses rows (i) and columns (j) starting at 0, irrespective of ORIGIN. It's necessary that way, otherwise users need to change their function (f) depending on ORIGIN. This way it forces the users to adjust their usage of the matrix() function explicitly. Note that you can set ORIGIN to -10 if you like.

LucMeekes_2-1590680570829.png

LucMeekes_3-1590680666948.png

Observe that string indexing also starts at 0, irrespective of ORIGIN.

Luc

In prime in the calculation options you can set the string index to start at same position as ORIGIN.  I stay with default for string processing 

@tslewis wrote:

In prime in the calculation options you can set the string index to start at same position as ORIGIN.  I stay with default for string processing 

The same is available in MC15 and below:

Werner_E_0-1590880095488.png

LucMeekes
23-Emerald III

In Mathcad 15, maybe in 14, 13, and 12, but not in Mathcad 11.

LucMeekes_0-1590992963066.png

But Mathcad 11 has other goodies.

Luc

@Werner_E wrote:

@tslewis wrote:

The same is available in MC15 and below:

OK, according to Lucs answer - not too much below.

And yes, I wish we could have the symbolic engine of MC11 (Maple) available in MC15.

Did some further investigations.

The problem is not the matrix A itself and the problem is not the function f itself.
The bug seems to be how the "matrix" command evaluates the function f internally.

There is a funny fix/workaround - simply turn the single "r" into a math expression. The pic shows two examples of how it can be done by adding a zero or multiplying by one. Obviously thats the reason why it also work when we apply a unit to "r".

Werner_E_1-1590539844180.png

Here is a last one

The bug also occurs when the "if"-function is used instead of the programming if instruction

Werner_E_0-1590540271544.png

I use the matric function a lot as it simplifies my programming constructs. I find it very powerful.

Here is one work around but im concerned now that my use of this matrix approach in my library of programs is going to fall apart in some instance. I often have matrices that have mixed units. I dont want to have to explicitly non dimensionalize and then re dimensionalize to get it to work - CASE 5

tslewis_0-1590541092764.png

tslewis
11-Garnet
(To:tslewis)

Werner seemed to solve it and i can keep my same clean approach Multiply the r value by 1 seems to force Mathcad to see this value as an integer, weird, still seems to be a BUG

Its sure a bug.

Other workaround are using the augment function (if possible in your real sheet)

Werner_E_0-1590560467043.png

or to use a custom written "matrix" function. Something along the lines of

Werner_E_0-1590560029180.png

Thanks but I use the in built matrix function a lot as it is convenient and not expensive at all when it comes to matrix processing speed

steve

Top Tags