cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Learn all about the Community Ranking System, a fun gamification element of the PTC Community. X

Change default behavior of templates (mctx) to create New documents when opened from File Explorer?

leadensky
3-Visitor

Change default behavior of templates (mctx) to create New documents when opened from File Explorer?

Is it possible to set the default behavior when double-clicking an MCTX (Mathcad template) so that a new file is created, instead of opening the template itself? You can do this with Word, Excel, etc. Wondering if it's possible to do for Mathcad as well.

6 REPLIES 6
LucMeekes
23-Emerald III
(To:leadensky)

Considering that it's a feature/functionality of (windows) file explorer to determine what must be done when a certain file is double-clicked, it should be possible to do what you (verbatim) ask in the title of this topic.

When reading the contents, wat you want is that upon double-clicking a template file a new sheet file is created based upon that template, is something that may require support from the (Mathcad) application. E.g. by providing a command line switch that allows to designate the template file for creating a new sheet file.

I haven't seen that (yet).

Inspect your (Windows) register to see how the unctionality you want is implemented for MsOffice applications, and implement the same/similar for a mathcad template sheet and see if it works.

Success!
Luc

Thanks for the response. I tried exactly that. Unfortunately, the MathcadPrime.exe doesn't support the switch /n as Excel.exe does. Unfortunate.

2018-11-29_06-41-32.png

Looks like Prime does not offer this feature and only supports the switches /c. /e and /o

B.PNG

You may try to execute a batch file or a powershell script when double clicking an mtcx file. The script could copy the mtcx file you clicked to the default template directory and name it default.mctx and then call MathCadPrime.exe which then would create a new document based on default.mtcx.

LucMeekes
23-Emerald III
(To:leadensky)

I suggest you submit this to PTC support as a feature request for Prime.

Then maybe your grandchildren may already benefit from it.

Luc

P.S. Ah, of course not. Since this feature request is unrelated to mathematical, plotting or other useful functionality, it will be implemented in Prime 6.

You are really a great optimist!

You may have noticed that no one can vote for Mathcad ideas so it will remain an idea with 0 upvotes.

Not that I would think it would matter if the  idea had hundred of upvotes - after all, we are dealing with PTC and their very own way of customer care.

Top Tags