cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Your Friends List is a way to easily have access to the community members that you interact with the most! X

Commas in subscript

ptc-5008217
1-Newbie

Commas in subscript

Hi,

I am trying to base my calculations around eurocodes which uses a lot of subscript notations to define things, including commas i.e. Nt,Rd where t,Rd should be subscript. However I can only seem to put one continous list of characters subscripted and no commas when defining a variable in Mathcad. Is there a way of doing this? (I am usimg Mathcad Prime 2.0)

Thanks in advance,

Rob

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Robert Frost wrote:

Hi,

I am trying to base my calculations around eurocodes which uses a lot of subscript notations to define things, including commas i.e. Nt,Rd where t,Rd should be subscript. However I can only seem to put one continous list of characters subscripted and no commas when defining a variable in Mathcad. Is there a way of doing this? (I am usimg Mathcad Prime 2.0)

Thanks in advance,

Rob

Try this please in Prime 2

subComma.png

A space we cannot so insert a variable name

View solution in original post

17 REPLIES 17

It would be possible in Mathcad 15 and below to create that kind of variable names (using Ctrl-Shift-K)

commatrick.png

But Prime is much more limited. As far as I know there is no way to create such names in Prime.

MikeArmstrong
5-Regular Member
(To:Werner_E)

Ctrl-Shift-K feature has been added to M' 3.

Mike

Mike Armstrong wrote:

Ctrl-Shift-K feature has been added to M' 3.

Mike

Good to know.

Another way of doing it in Prime would be using the matrix index - nevertheless i wouldn't recommend doing so.

Define t and rd to be zero (maybe in a collapsible area) and create N as a 1x1 matrix:

commatrick2.png

MikeArmstrong
5-Regular Member

Neat workaround, but could get a little confusing

Mike

Mike Armstrong wrote:

Neat workaround, but could get a little confusing

Mike

Yes, thats why I said that I really would not recommend doing so. Especially as I suspect that most of the times a sheet would need t and rd to be special values or ranges, so you would have to resort to differently labeled variables ... better wait for P3 and use the good old Ctrl-Shift-K trick (which itself can be confusing enough, though).

MikeArmstrong
5-Regular Member

better wait for P3 and use the good old Ctrl-Shift-K trick (which itself can be confusing enough, though).

Agree.

Mike

Robert Frost wrote:

Hi,

Thanks in advance,

Rob

Try this please in Prime 2

subComma.png

A space we cannot so insert a variable name

Thanks! I wasn't aware of that possibility. Works like a charm!

And you are right, neither [space] nor Alt-2-5-5 will have any effect.

Werner Exinger wrote:

Thanks! I wasn't aware of that possibility. Works like a charm!

You welcome!

"There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio,

Than are dreamt of in your philosophy."

It was a rule in the Soviet era - do not get used to Delicatessen - soon it will become scarce

This trick not work in Mathcad Prime 3 with an inserting Math area into Text area.

But we can create kJ/(kg K) etc in Prime 2 and use in Prime 3 and... new tricks

So its a trick with an expiration date in a few months!? 😞

But as Mike posted we will be able to use something like the Ctrl-Shift-K method in P3 again.

Werner Exinger wrote:

So its a trick with an expiration date in a few months!? 😞

But as Mike posted we will be able to use something like the Ctrl-Shift-K method in P3 again.

We will solve the problems as soon as they arrive!

Werner Exinger wrote:

No

MikeArmstrong
5-Regular Member
(To:ValeryOchkov)

Valery I'm sure it has been added.

Mike

Mike Armstrong wrote:

Valery I'm sure it has been added.

Mike

Show please you hope here Mathcad Prime 3.0 Discussion

MikeArmstrong
5-Regular Member
(To:ValeryOchkov)

Valery you are correct. I am mistaken for the Ctrl+G keyboard shortcut. My mistake.

Mike

MikeArmstrong
5-Regular Member

Sorry Werner I got it wrong. It was the Cril+G keyboard shortcut.

Mike

Thanks for your help, works a treat.

Top Tags