cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - When posting, your subject should be specific and summarize your question. Here are some additional tips on asking a great question. X

Contour plot. Level Curve

Sergey
14-Alexandrite

Contour plot. Level Curve

Hello.

I was trying to plot some level curves by using contour plot command (see attached file).

When I define some variable "C", the plot works fine. But when I assign a range to the "C", the level curves fails to plot.

Why the plotting fails?

Best regards,

Sergey

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Werner_E
24-Ruby V
(To:Sergey)

If C should be the level then C its NOT part of the function term, but its rather the curve resulting from the implicit function f(x,y)=C.

Which function f?

A single  contour plot of f should shou you a couple of level curves and you can control how many and at which space by editing the first, second and last value of the legend below the plot (its rather clumsy to do).

In the pic below I highlighted the values you can edit to achieve the desired effect. Prime sure makes it unnecessary complicated to get a certain number of contour lines.

Werner_E_0-1658409788208.png

You can also turn off the color scheme and turn on the level values

Werner_E_0-1658409923841.png

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
Werner_E
24-Ruby V

C is just the offset of the parabola in y direction. Its not the level/height (in case you thought it is).

I am not sure what kind of plot you expected. The contour plots of 10 different surfaces one on top of the other??

On the other hand - your second plot is a simple xy-plot and you try to plot a function z=f(x,y). Apart from the range C - what result did you expect?

Sergey
14-Alexandrite
(To:Werner_E)

It is indeed a family of the level curves as shown in picture below. 

Sergey_0-1658408640823.png

Werner_E
24-Ruby V

If C should be the level then C its NOT part of the function term, but its rather the curve resulting from the implicit function f(x,y)=C.

Which function f?

A single  contour plot of f should shou you a couple of level curves and you can control how many and at which space by editing the first, second and last value of the legend below the plot (its rather clumsy to do).

In the pic below I highlighted the values you can edit to achieve the desired effect. Prime sure makes it unnecessary complicated to get a certain number of contour lines.

Werner_E_0-1658409788208.png

You can also turn off the color scheme and turn on the level values

Werner_E_0-1658409923841.png

Sergey
14-Alexandrite

The only question is how do you get the cirles? It looks like an ellipse in my plot.

Sergey_0-1658410925503.png

Werner_E
24-Ruby V

You have to manually scale the plot until you think that both axis are equally scaled. That not very satisfactory, but Prime offers no option to auto-scale so both axis are equally scaled.

Werner_E_0-1658411248721.png

Sergey
14-Alexandrite

Thank you, @Werner_E 

It looks like that auto-scaling should be an option in Mathcad Prime. 

Hopefully this will somehow implemented in future.

Top Tags