cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community email notifications are disrupted. While we are working to resolve, please check on your favorite boards regularly to keep up with your conversations and new topics.

Convergence Error when Solving System of Matrix

jmebara
11-Garnet

Convergence Error when Solving System of Matrix

Dear forum, 

Basically, I am trying to analyse the forced vibration of a single span Timoshenko beam on elastic supports at both ends.

I want to at the end determine the displacement w(f), rotation phi(f), shear force Q(f) and bending moment (f) at the ends of the beam due to a force excitation on one end of the beam. I want a plot of these paramaters over the excitation frequency f = 1Hz., 2Hz, 3 Hz....1000Hz.

To obtain these parameters, I need to solve for a matrix system which looks like this: A.c = b. A is a 4x4 matrix for each frequency, c is a 4x1 vector for each frequency and b is a 4x1 vector for each frequency. So, based on my frequency spacing of 1Hz from 1Hz to 1000Hz, I have 1000 4x4 A matrices in the A(f) matrix, 1000 4x1 matrices in the c(f) vector and 1000 4x1 matrices in the b(f) vector.

I have tried using lsolve to solve the system of equation for the c(f) vector but I keep on having an error message which says that the calculation does not converge to a solution. Initally, I have thought that it was because of the units, so I have created a another calculation sheet without units. Still the same convergence error when using lsolve. 

Is this a familiar error and how can one get around it?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

A.c = b. A is a 4x4 matri

See my last PM. In your sheet, which you can't post in the public forum, A is not a 4x4 matrix but rather a nested 4x1 matrix consisting of 1x4 matrices which as I suppose should be the rows of the expected 4x4 matrix. Sent you a possible solution in the PM.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

A.c = b. A is a 4x4 matri

See my last PM. In your sheet, which you can't post in the public forum, A is not a 4x4 matrix but rather a nested 4x1 matrix consisting of 1x4 matrices which as I suppose should be the rows of the expected 4x4 matrix. Sent you a possible solution in the PM.

So basically I had calculations using the row selector and the result was a row (1x4 matrix). It was still a row vector even after I put it in a matrix and so I ended up with a nested matrix.

Using the lsolve function with nested matrix has led to the error. Werner_E has quickly noticed the wrong nested matrix format in my calculation. By using the stack function instead to build the matrix, the nested matrix problem was avoided and I could use the lsolve function without any error messages.

Everything now works like magic. Thanks so much for your quick reply and great help.

Top Tags