cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Did you know you can set a signature that will be added to all your posts? Set it here! X

Data Table as Global Definition

Andrewk2
1-Newbie

Data Table as Global Definition

When you choose Insert --> Data --> Table, Mathcad inserts a table with the definition operator (:=). I want to use the global definition operator (~ keystroke for the triple equals sign) so that I can put this table at the bottom of the worksheet.

I tried pasting the table into a new global definition, and it pastes as a matrix, and there doesn't appear to be a way to convert it back into a table.

Is there any way of using a data table with the global definition operator?

Using Mathcad 14

37 REPLIES 37

>I looked, and version 8 didn't have the PID quicksheet.

The PID quicksheet in version 11 does not contain any "bogus arrays". [Richard]

Exact: PID was introduced in 2001i qs after I noticed an error and transmitted .

From recollection: 2001i, 11 don't have "BogusArray" construct.

MikeArmstrong
5-Regular Member
(To:RichardJ)

Undocumented means unsupported, and unsupported means it may not exist in the next version!

Just seems ridiculous that a simple feature such as this could not be implemented.

Mike

Just seems ridiculous that a simple feature such as this could not be implemented.

Do you mean in future versions? In principle it could be, but every piece of code requires maintenance, and every syntax feature in Mathcad can potentially conflict with another current or desired syntax feaure. So it may exist in the next version, but it's also possible it may not because either they didn't want to keep maintaining the necessary code or because it was thought to conflict with a new feature.

MikeArmstrong
5-Regular Member
(To:RichardJ)

Do you mean in future versions? In principle it could be, but every piece of code requires maintenance, and every syntax feature in Mathcad can potentially conflict with another current or desired syntax feaure. So it may exist in the next version, but it's also possible it may not because either they didn't want to keep maintaining the necessary code or because it was thought to conflict with a new feature.

I meant making it possible to globally define tables, component....etc

Mike

>I meant making it possible to globally define tables, component....etc [Mike] <

What is the interest of globally defining a data table wrt the next processing of the data ? A table that is a collection of operators is acceptable even suitable, for that purpose the "BogusArray" is globally addressable. Visit the next thread "BogusArray".

Jean

I meant making it possible to globally define tables, component....etc

I agree that on the surface at least that would not seem so difficult. Perhaps there's something subtle about the way components are handled though that makes it more difficult that it would seem. Or perhaps they just haven't been asked / pressured enough times for it to get implemented!

>I meant making it possible to globally define tables, component....etc [Mike]<

Something you are missing Mike,

a data table is not globally definable but a data array is globally definable. So, if the data array is not short of elements to validate the project, you can use it blobally. Another point that you may have overlooked is the distinction [maybe by omission in Mathcad] that some functionalities don't take the column from a data array but only from a data table. Don't worry, in such cases there is an error message.

Jean

MikeArmstrong
5-Regular Member
(To:jeanGiraud)

Cheers for the explanation Jean.

Mike

Top Tags