cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - If community subscription notifications are filling up your inbox you can set up a daily digest and get all your notifications in a single email. X

Help Solving a System of Differential Equations

dnordemann
1-Newbie

Help Solving a System of Differential Equations

I’m having trouble solving this system of differential equations. I’m pretty new to Mathcad and I don’t really have that much experience with differential equations either so I’m really off to a great start.

I’m trying to calculate the flight path of a spinning tennis ball being launched at 45 deg. I am working with some numbers now but they are partially placeholders. I removed units for now just to take out one level of complexity.

Feel free to check my equations but the real problem I’m having is with my initial conditions (I think). I keep getting the error message “Unknown error: dae%_­inital%­_condition%_error.” and I'm not sure how to fix it.

I’ve attached the file below. I'm using Mathcad prime 3.1

Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
vlehner
13-Aquamarine
(To:dnordemann)

Hallo Dan,

See attached File, hope it will be helpful.

I'm using MathCad Prime 3.1 as well.

Volker

Volker

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8

Unless 3.1 has suddenly broken with tradition the error message rarely hints at the actual problem.  If you can "Trace Error," you may get a clue where the problem actually lies.  Otherwise the error means "it won't compute."  This is unfortunately especially true in solve blocks.

You're using 3.1, since I only have 3.0 (and cannot, therefore, actually see your file) you'll have to wait for a more up-to-date user to provide a better clue.  These angels exist--be patient!

vlehner
13-Aquamarine

Hallo Dan,

See attached File, hope it will be helpful.

I'm using MathCad Prime 3.1 as well.

Volker

Volker

Wow, thanks, everyone!

Haha Fred, that point about the error messages is all too true.

Volker, you are a god among men. That is exactly what I needed. I should be able to modify that with no problem at all.

Valery, thanks, I will definitely check that out.

-Dan

vlehner
13-Aquamarine

Thanks Dan,

here another example to use the solve block with differential Equations and with Units.

...have Fun driving the beetle...

Greets, Volker

Volker
-MFra-
21-Topaz II

Hello Dan,

if you're interested, here is the analytical solution. As you see the problem is very simple ...

Aerodynamic resistance of a car.jpg

Volker, thanks more examples are always better. I'm starting to get a hang of how this works. 

F.M., thanks that is really interesting. Did you ever calculate exactly how different the numerical solution is to the analytical one?

Sorry to the both of you for not responding sooner I was traveling.

-MFra-
21-Topaz II

Hi Dan,

the relative error, practically, is null.

Bye

Top Tags