cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Want the oppurtunity to discuss enhancements to PTC products? Join a working group! X

Help please - plotting curve as a series of functions

uclphd
1-Newbie

Help please - plotting curve as a series of functions

Hi,

Attached is a mathcad worksheet - when you scroll down you will see a set of questions to my problem and a plot of the function that I have produced to try and plot the curve that I want. The curve I wish to plot should look something like the sketch attached (see curve_sketch file) Plot points on the sketch refer to the nomenclature in the mathcad file.

Can you please read the questions in matchad file and advise how best to plot the individual functions of the curve?

Many thanks

Omar

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
AndyWesterman
4-Participant
(To:uclphd)

If you normalise the x parameter for each stage

Capture.PNG

here mod(x)-Xeb then the start point needs a constant added, equal to the result from the previous stage at Xeb in this case already calculated as Rub.

If you calculate everything as mod(x) here, saving the result as a local variable (r).

Then the final answer can be returned as

Capture.PNG

Regards

Andy

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10
Werner_E
24-Ruby V

I'll take a look when I have some more time.

In the meantime maybe the following link will be of help concerning plotting of piecewise defined functions.

http://communities.ptc.com/message/170411#170411

Thanks Werner

Fred_Kohlhepp
23-Emerald I

See if this helps.

Hi Fred, thanks for your approach it solves plotting the curve correctly. If you read my response below to Andy I upload a further file - there is a scaler issue in my differential equation that I need to fix to solve my problem.

Many thanks

Omar

AndyWesterman
4-Participant

If you normalise the x parameter for each stage

Capture.PNG

here mod(x)-Xeb then the start point needs a constant added, equal to the result from the previous stage at Xeb in this case already calculated as Rub.

If you calculate everything as mod(x) here, saving the result as a local variable (r).

Then the final answer can be returned as

Capture.PNG

Regards

Andy

uclphd
1-Newbie

Hi Andy,

That's great you've solved the problem for plotting the curve. However I encounter another problem when I apply the curve to my differential equation which I solve using the Runge Kutta method. I have attached an updated version of the mathcad file - if you can please take a look and let me know how I resolve the scaler issue so it solves the differential equation.

Many thanks

Omar

AndyWesterman
4-Participant

Hi Omar,

2 problems:

Capture.PNG

You have Rmu * (...

It should be just Rmu(...

& 2

Capture.PNG

Rmu is set for parameter in m and returning value as N

All the other functions only return number results (no units)

If you remove the units from Rmu (as above) you get an answer.

However, I have tried adding units to the other equations & still get errors!!

So possible that the answer given may not be correct.

Regards

Andy

Hi Andy

I have tried removing Rmu units as shown however don't get an answer. Can you please provide your worksheet with answer?

Thanks

Omar

AndyWesterman
4-Participant

Hi Omar,

Don't think that I diod anything else to the sheet, so here it is.

If you spot a difference, please let me know

Regards

Andy

Hi Andy

That works and gives me the sollution i'm looking for. Thank you for your help with this.

Kind regards

Omar

Top Tags