cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Want the oppurtunity to discuss enhancements to PTC products? Join a working group! X

Here's an easy one for you....?

JimPost
1-Newbie

Here's an easy one for you....?

Is there a way to request to display an answer to an equation above the equation. I.e. If I put S=P/A, is there anyway to have Mathcad display S= somewhere above the actual equation. This can be helpful for putting a summary sheet at the beginning of a document. THANKS ALL!

7 REPLIES 7

That's what the global definition is does.

Not all instances in a project are suitable.

Many large project are so structured.

jmG

Thanks. The global definition seems to work. The only problem is that I had to globally define all the variables that ultimately led to the final result, but it works.

As for the Excel stuff.. I'm currently not using excel components but when I need to I'll know where to go for help!

Thanks again.

MikeArmstrong
5-Regular Member
(To:JimPost)

Jim Post wrote:

Is there a way to request to display an answer to an equation above the equation. I.e. If I put S=P/A, is there anyway to have Mathcad display S= somewhere above the actual equation. This can be helpful for putting a summary sheet at the beginning of a document. THANKS ALL!

Jim,

The only logical way I found was to use an Excel component posted by Tom Gutman a while back. It takes a little work to setup, but if you need to collect a whole lot of data it's definitely worth while. I will post an example if you like?

If my memory serves me right I posted a similar topic back in the old collab. The problem with using global definitions to define variables is they can't be passed to Excel components to create result tables, which sort of defeats the object.

Mike

"The problem with using global definitions to define variables is they can't be passed to Excel components to create result tables, which sort of defeats the object. [Mike]"

Certainly not true because Excel reads *.prn . So, you can ship the Mathcad data to a remote Excel user. In the context of unknown real project. and on eventual useful projects, an alternative would be a referenced sheet. This functionality is an old feature, rarely used and well exemplified in the 5 MB "Create Amazing Images in Mathcad"

jmG

MikeArmstrong
5-Regular Member
(To:jeanGiraud)

jean Giraud wrote:

Certainly not true because Excel reads *.prn . So, you can ship the Mathcad data to a remote Excel user. In the context of unknown real project. and on eventual useful projects, an alternative would be a referenced sheet. This functionality is an old feature, rarely used and well exemplified in the 5 MB "Create Amazing Images in Mathcad"

jmG

Jean,

I was getting mixed up. A global definition can be using with the function described you described and also with an embedded excel component.

A problem arises with the use of a solve block. A global definition cannot be passed to the function 'Find'. That is why I opted to use the Excel component.

Mike

Though the global definition is an absolute feature in Mathcad, the use of it is about limited to plug the numerical value of some variables, upstream of the main course of the project. Generally, the scheme [the structure] of a project can go only one way at time. Think in term of the real life: you can only have the output to a controlling device if the input precedes the processing ... you can't reverse engineer a cow, not even a chicken.

Jean

MikeArmstrong
5-Regular Member
(To:jeanGiraud)

jean Giraud wrote:

Though the global definition is an absolute feature in Mathcad, the use of it is about limited to plug the numerical value of some variables, upstream of the main course of the project. Generally, the scheme [the structure] of a project can go only one way at time.

Jean

Jean,

Do you think PTC should implement a function similar to the global definition, which would allow users to collect data the required data and show above where calculated? This would eliminate the need of additional functions.

Mike

Top Tags