cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - New to the community? Learn how to post a question and get help from PTC and industry experts! X

How can I set trigonometric functions to be in degrees (nor radians)?

nvsuryan
1-Newbie

How can I set trigonometric functions to be in degrees (nor radians)?

I am working on problems where all the angles are in degrees and the trigonometric functions should read them as such. It is a lot of work to make sure that all the angles are converted to radians before the algebraic expressions involving them are evaluated. Is there any way that a statement or preference can be added so that mathcad correctly evaluates the trigonometric functions with the arguments in degrees?

7 REPLIES 7

sin(90 deg)=1 m/m

cos(90 deg)=1m/m

asin(1 m/m)=1.572 rad

asin(1 m/m)=90 deg

asin(1 m/m)=100 grad

etc

Or you can use Mathcad Prime Minister

Rad Deg Grad Etc

Werner_E
25-Diamond I
(To:nvsuryan)

There is no option to change the default (pseudo)unit of angle to something else than radian.

If you want a length to be in meter you write m, if it shoul be interpreted as feet you write ft.

The same applies to the pseudounits of "dimension"  angle. If you want a quantity in degree, you have to write "deg" or "°".

If you want it in radian you either write "rad" or nothing at all, as rad=1.

If you are using the symbolics they don't know anything about units and will treat deg or ° as unknown variable. So you would have to define °:=pi/180 and/or deg:=pi/180 yourself.

Werner Exinger wrote:

as rad=1.

Sorry, rad=1 m/m

or

rad=3.281 ft/m

etc

Valery Ochkov wrote:

Werner Exinger wrote:

as rad=1.

Sorry, rad=1 m/m

... and m/m is ...?

The ratio of two lengths is a dimensionless number, in our case rad=1.

It doesn't matter if you measure in meter or feet or mixed length units.

Mathcad knows about that ;.)

An unit of specific enthalpy in not m^2/s^2 but J/kg

An unit of thermal conductivity is not J/(m K) but J*m/(m^2*K)

Etc (rad=m/m, for example)

We sometime do simplify units but it is not good for education!

And for industrial calculation too - rad+sr=2, rad+%=1.01 etc but must be an error message!

Units system in Mathcad is not quit absolute good

rad+%=1.01 etc but must be an error message!

No! Its perfectly correct from a mathematical point of view rad and % are just dimensionless numbers, nothing more.

StuartBruff
23-Emerald II
(To:nvsuryan)

Narasipur Suryanarayana wrote:

I am working on problems where all the angles are in degrees and the trigonometric functions should read them as such. It is a lot of work to make sure that all the angles are converted to radians before the algebraic expressions involving them are evaluated. Is there any way that a statement or preference can be added so that mathcad correctly evaluates the trigonometric functions with the arguments in degrees?

Either use the built-in unit conversion facility or redefine the trig function to work in degrees.

Stuart

Announcements

Top Tags