cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Your Friends List is a way to easily have access to the community members that you interact with the most! X

How to generate Eigenvalues

PhilipLeitch
1-Newbie

How to generate Eigenvalues

Hi.

I have a worksheet I'm attempting to translate into SQL (Structured Query Language), specifically Transact-SQL (Microsoft SQL Server language).

Currently the only stumbling block is that I need to generate Eigenvalues.

Are there standard algorithms that I can use, or is this so complicated that I should just pay for an external Maths library?

Thanks,
Philip

In the attached excel file you can found a macro to compute the eigenvalues if they are reals; that because I don't like to use complexes with excel (using macros or any other cheat), and is one of the most important argument to reject excel.

The only one excel vba function dependence is mmult, the product of arrays, so hope that can be translated to any other language.

Regards. Alvaro.

The maths of the "Eigenvalues" are given in Mathcad.

jmG

Try eigenvals ... and if you also want the vectors eigenvec given one of the eigenvals.

Steen Gro�e

Yes, this shouldn't be a necessary step...

From M14020 Help - eigenvecs(M, ["L"])
"The nth column of the matrix returned is an eigenvector corresponding to the nth eigenvalue returned by eigenvals."

I seem to recall a problem with this in the past, i.e., the eigenvalues and vectors were not in the same order. Perhaps this was fixed in M14?

I always check now...

Rich
http://www.downeastengineering.com/

Sorry - what I meant is that I have a worksheet in Mathcad that I am trying to translate into SQL Server's Transact-SQL.

I think the Excel file is going to be the key to doing this.

Philip

Top Tags