cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Have a PTC product question you need answered fast? Chances are someone has asked it before. Learn about the community search. X

How to "Fill Surface" a Hexagon in 3-D ?

lvl107
20-Turquoise

How to "Fill Surface" a Hexagon in 3-D ?

Hello, Everyone.

From the following :

FillSurface.PNG

Thanks in advance for your time and help.

Best Regards.

Loi.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

To close this thread (for me), here is a function to implement #4 in my list above. #1 - #3 will be up to you ore somebody else 😉

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11
Werner_E
24-Ruby V
(To:lvl107)

The attached should do the job. Works for exactly six points only and the order the points are given is important. So its very specialized and thats the reason I did not made any attempts to make the program ORIGIN independent.

lvl107
20-Turquoise

Hi, Everyone again.

From the following:

Email1.PNG

Email2.PNG

And if we get the input with random order of the points, and how to sort them for the program function always is true. And my belief is going to have a program function apply for any polygon, any order of the points and sorting say: Pentagon, Seven-Edge . . .

Best Regards

Loi.

Werner_E
24-Ruby V

And my belief is going to have a program function apply for any polygon, any order of the points and sorting say: Pentagon,

If you change the order, you get a different polygon!

Werner_E_0-1661872457031.png

lvl107
20-Turquoise
(To:Werner_E)

Yeah ! you're right. A pentagon must be convex, and sorting that five points in accordance with certain rule, and Fill Surface !

Best Regards.

Loi. 

ttokoro
20-Turquoise

image.pngimage.pngimage.png

lvl107
20-Turquoise

Hi Everyone, again.
From related query as the following :

z value go down.PNG

How to create that program function ?

Best Regards.
Loi.

Werner_E
24-Ruby V

Like this?

lvl107
20-Turquoise
(To:Werner_E)

Clear and neat answer !, Werner. 🙂🙂🙂

Best Regards.

Loi.

lvl107
20-Turquoise

For generalizing the problem: 

lvl107_1-1661967101843.png

How to Fill Surface a (convex) Pentagon ?

Best, Best Regards.

Loi.

Werner_E
24-Ruby V

How to Fill Surface a (convex) Pentagon ?

Probably like outlined here: Solved: Re: Rotate a quadrilateral in 3-D ? - PTC Community

But you will have to

1) Check, if all points are in the same plane and at least one is not on the same line as the others - Otherwise: error

2) Check if its possible to form a convex polygon using the given points - Otherwise: error OR you find a decent method how to fill a concave polygon, too.

3) If a convex polygon is possible, you have to find a way to arrange the order of the points so they form the convex polygon in that order

4) Now you can follow with the method outlined in the thread mentioned above, creating for example the structure where all points from #3 to #n-2 are connected with point #1 (last picture in that thread).

Sure a task for some cold winter days ...

To close this thread (for me), here is a function to implement #4 in my list above. #1 - #3 will be up to you ore somebody else 😉

Top Tags