cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Did you know you can set a signature that will be added to all your posts? Set it here! X

How to replicate in Mathcad Prime 10 this figure (Pappus chain)?

Cornel
19-Tanzanite

How to replicate in Mathcad Prime 10 this figure (Pappus chain)?

Hi,

Cornel_0-1727080859484.png

Cornel_3-1727080929312.png

Cornel_2-1727080917229.png

ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
ttokoro
20-Turquoise
(To:Cornel)

15 REPLIES 15
ttokoro
20-Turquoise

image.png

image.png

Cornel
19-Tanzanite
(To:ttokoro)

Mathcad sheet?

ttokoro
20-Turquoise

image.pngimage.pngimage.pngimage.png

Cornel
19-Tanzanite
(To:ttokoro)

And the expression for C0, C1, and O?

ttokoro
20-Turquoise

image.pngimage.pngimage.pngimage.png

Attach Prime 10 file.

StuartBruff
23-Emerald III

I'm having a mathematical bad hair day, so the equations don't make sense to me.  

If RL = RR, then r = 2 RL / (RL + RR) = 2 RL / (RL + RL) = 1

Therefore, rn = r (1-r) / 2 D = 1 (1 - 1) / 2D = 1 * 0 / 2D = 0, for all rn

As people have been happily drawing these things for millennia (albeit algebraically for a lot less), I'm missing something here.

It's pretty straightforward to draw the circles (once generated) in a 2D plot, but 2D plots (AFAIA) don't allow user-controlled (or any) shading.

A 3D plot should allow colouring by plotting each circle class (main, left, right, Pappas) at a different height and letting the 3D plot fill the interior.  You have to manually set each 'layer' to the colour you want. 

Stuart

Examples of the kind of thing Mathcad can do ... but it takes a lot of manual fiddling to get a 3D Plot to look reasonable.  However, I haven't used a Mathcad Prime for a long time and it may do a lot more than my initial glance at the Plot tab suggests.

2024 09 23 E.png

2024 09 23 F.png

Werner_E
25-Diamond I

I am missing your attempt ...

Pappos-Kette.gif

Its a pity that the age old codec used by Mathcad does not support the full color range. This is what it looks like in Mathcad

Werner_E_0-1727117005822.png

Next stop Apollonian Gasket or Steiner Chain ...?

Apollonian gasket - Wikipedia

Steiner chain - Wikipedia

P.S.: I converted the sheet to Prime 10 and after some rework I got a similar result (without animation, of course).

But while in real Mathcad the effect of a changed parameter can be seen within the blink of an eye, Prime takes nearly endless until it finally shows the modified plot. Sure has to to with the amount of data used to fill the circles, but that's sure not an excuse for incompetent implementation of something basic like a plot facility.

Werner_E_0-1727117854965.png

Cornel
19-Tanzanite
(To:Werner_E)

Upload also Mathcad prime 10 file.

StuartBruff
23-Emerald III

@Cornel wrote:

Upload also Mathcad prime 10 file.

You can't do animation in Mathcad Prime 10, I'm afraid.

You should be able to use my worksheet to fill out both sides of the Pappus chain and plot the centre-of-circles ellipse - fairly straightforward to implement given a few moments thought.  

Stuart

Cornel
19-Tanzanite
(To:StuartBruff)

@StuartBruff wrote:

Stuart

I know this, only I was interested how Werner implement this in Mathcad Prime 10, even without animation.

Werner_E
25-Diamond I

@Cornel wrote:

@StuartBruff wrote:

Stuart

I know this, only I was interested how Werner implement this in Mathcad Prime 10, even without animation.

I dd  not implement in Prime 10. It was realized in Mathcad 15 and i dod not post the sheet because I feel that you should make a t least an attempt yourself to make that figure. If you get stuck, you always can open a thread , post your worksheet and ask.

I just was curious and converted my worksheet into Prime format. Aside from some cleanup that should have been avoidable, the experience was soberingly disastrous. Not only did the graphics seem to take forever to load, but Prime also froze and didn't allow editing or even simple scrolling. How can one put something like that on the market for sale?

StuartBruff
23-Emerald III

Fixed the problem.  The ratio description is a bit ... confusing.  The actual ratio is RL/(RL+RR), ie left hand circle diameter to outer circle diameter.  Furthermore, the origin of the coordinate system is at the left hand y=0 of the outer circle ... I was getting the correct configuration of circles but always in the wrong position.  Then I had my Homer Simpson "Doh!" moment (I really am getting quite good at them.  Practice makes perfect, as they say).  There is probably a plethora of errors in there, and, yes, I do know what a plethora is (five points to Slytherin if you get the film reference).

So, if you like the simplicity of the 2D plot:2024 09 23 H.png

And in glorious 2D in a 3D plot ...

2024 09 23 I.png

As Werner says, the Prime 3D plot lacks some of the UI finesse of the original Mathcad 3D plot.   I couldn't work out how to set the viewing angle without dragging the thing around, and that was an exercise in both patience and futility.  Futility I can do, but patience isn't one of my strong points.

Stuart

Werner_E
25-Diamond I

As Werner says, the Prime 3D plot lacks some of the UI finesse of the original Mathcad 3D plot. 

I only used 2D-plots and realized the area filling by a multitude of vertical lines (the number of which Prime, in contrast to Mathcad, was quite overwhelming).
My comments therefore only referred to the native 2D plot, which is implemented badly enough in Prime.
But of course the 3D plot in Prime is an even bigger disaster.

StuartBruff
23-Emerald III
(To:Werner_E)

@Werner_E wrote:

As Werner says, the Prime 3D plot lacks some of the UI finesse of the original Mathcad 3D plot. 

I only used 2D-plots and realized the area filling by a multitude of vertical lines (the number of which Prime, in contrast to Mathcad, was quite overwhelming).
My comments therefore only referred to the native 2D plot, which is implemented badly enough in Prime.

True.  I miss the flexibility and improved capabilities of the 3D plot, particularly its scripting and ability to be used as a function. 

Still, we now have scripting in some controls, and I seem like I'm able to do a little bit more in Mathcad Prime 10 than I could in previous versions (I stopped updating at Version 7).  Progress is being made, I just wish it would happen faster, and my priority list is a little different to PTC's (I can't believe there's no Plot Component replacement in the immediate pipeline!!)! 

Stuart

Werner_E
25-Diamond I

@StuartBruff wrote:

@Werner_E wrote:

True.  I miss the flexibility and improved capabilities of the 3D plot, particularly its scripting and ability to be used as a function. 

Still, we now have scripting in some controls, and I seem like I'm able to do a little bit more in Mathcad Prime 10 than I could in previous versions (I stopped updating at Version 7).  Progress is being made, I just wish it would happen faster, and my priority list is a little different to PTC's (I can't believe there's no Plot Component replacement in the immediate pipeline!!)! 

Stuart

Be careful what you wish for!
Take a look at PTC's response to the fierce complaints about the highly inadequate 2D plotting capabilities. Instead of improving the native 2D plots, software was purchased and implemented in a highly unsatisfactory way. I wouldn't want something like that in 3D!

Announcements

Top Tags