cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Need to share some code when posting a question or reply? Make sure to use the "Insert code sample" menu option. Learn more! X

How to solve Integro-differential equation numerically?

Cornel
18-Opal

How to solve Integro-differential equation numerically?

Hi,

Is it possible to solve somehow with odesolve block integro-differential equation like below? Or how this type of eq can be solved numerically?

Cornel_0-1717575115965.png

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Werner_E
24-Ruby V
(To:Cornel)

I don't think that Prime would be able to solve that integral equation, but you can easily rewrite it (substitute y*=z') and then you could solve it symbolically

Werner_E_1-1717588547020.png

or that way:

Werner_E_0-1717588138613.png

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7

After differentiation, a homogeneous linear second order differential equation with constant coefficients is obtained. The double zero of the characteristic polynomial is -1. Therefore, the solution has the structure y(t)=a*exp(-t)+b*t*exp(-t). The coefficients a and b are calculated from initial/boundary values.

Cornel_0-1717580290659.png

Sorry, I have to correct myself, because the 5 was overlooked. The zeros of the characteristic polynomial are now lambda1=-1+2*i and lambda2=-1-2*i. Therefore y(t)=a*exp((-1+2*i)*t) +b*exp((-1-2*i)*t). Apply Euler's equation to this, according to which exp(i*y)=cos(y)+i*sin(y). Calculate the coefficients as usual from the initial values ​​and after inserting them into the integral equation.

I have to correct also myself in my above second time file posted . But I am still interested if any other numerical method solution for this integro-differenial eq is possible but not making further differentiations (so, solving the integro-differential eq as it was posted initially in a odesolve/solve block or whatever).

Cornel_0-1717584005705.png

For y(0)=1, everything is fine with this problem 😉 .
There is no general solution method for integro-differential equations. Difficult cases can often only be solved approximately using the Ritz-Galerkin minimum problem. This often helped me in the past.

Werner_E
24-Ruby V
(To:Cornel)

I don't think that Prime would be able to solve that integral equation, but you can easily rewrite it (substitute y*=z') and then you could solve it symbolically

Werner_E_1-1717588547020.png

or that way:

Werner_E_0-1717588138613.png

Additional remark:

If you want to solve an equation which is too complicated for Primes symbolic, you still can replace the integral by a function z(x) with z'(x)=y(x) and use  a numeric solve block:

Werner_E_1-1717591505233.png

Top Tags