cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Learn all about PTC Community Badges. Engage with PTC and see how many you can earn! X

I graphed a line in the x y plane that begins at (-9,6) and stops at (2,4). This is because a college algebra book asked to consider the distance FROM P1 (-9,6) TO P2 (2,4). The authors then mention that the "midpoint formula is a bit more complex that i

rwells
4-Participant

I graphed a line in the x y plane that begins at (-9,6) and stops at (2,4). This is because a college algebra book asked to consider the distance FROM P1 (-9,6) TO P2 (2,4). The authors then mention that the "midpoint formula is a bit more complex that i

I graphed a line in the x y plane that begins at  (-9,6) and stops at (2,4). This is because a college algebra book asked to consider the distance FROM P1 (-9,6) TO P2 (2,4). The authors then mention that the "midpoint formula is a bit more complex that it looks and is actualy a special case of a geometric theorem. Something about the ratios of the distances. Exploring this I then decided to use the mathcad software to create the two right triangles that would be associated with these three points. The point (answer) is P3 (-23/5,26/5). The reason I wanted to create these two right triangles is just to explore my ability to integrate the areas and compare the ratios. And I did it!  My graph of the line that starts and stops at P1 and P2 is defined as f(x). To make the two triangles I wrote a program g(x) that uses inequalities and operators. In the placeholder for x and y however the g(x) is stated as g(a) and the x placeholder is x,a. I am not able to post a worksheet. But if anyone can visualize this Algebra problem and plot this scenario I would much appreciate it.ptc2.jpgptc community.jpg

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Werner_E
24-Ruby V
(To:rwells)

Not sure what exactly you are trying to do, but it looks to me that you typed m(x) instead of m*(x) (or even better simply m*x)

Maybe the attached helps:

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
LucMeekes
23-Emerald III

If you switch to 'advanced editor'

you will find and 'attach' link in the lower right corner.

You will also find that link if you edit your existing entry or answer (one of the options of the 'actions' link in the lower left corner).

You then can attach your worksheet.

(Oh, this forum is such a great place to be .)

Success!

Luc

LucMeekes wrote:

If you switch to 'advanced editor'

(Oh, this forum is such a great place to be .)

Success!

Luc

Careful,

Your true feelings are peeking out!  😉

Werner_E
24-Ruby V

Not sure what exactly you are trying to do, but it looks to me that you typed m(x) instead of m*(x) (or even better simply m*x)

Maybe the attached helps:

rwells
4-Participant

Thanks Werner. You have been most helpful over the years. I do not have the ability to post worksheets and only tinker with Mathcad 2000 as a hoby. This will take me quite some time to explore and I am not quite what I am trying to do either . . .but it should be fun.

Top Tags