cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Need to share some code when posting a question or reply? Make sure to use the "Insert code sample" menu option. Learn more! X

Inappropriate result

OM_10154742
6-Contributor

Inappropriate result

I am trying to solve a equation as provided in handbook but no matter if i use units or not I am not getting the correct result. I tried with applying units but somehow it gives me wrong solution 

20 REPLIES 20

I see that you posted your question about two and a half hours ago an I see still an "Virus scan in progress" and so can't access your attachment.

Werner_E_0-1656359154176.png

Obviously something went wrong. I notified moderator but I also suggest you try attaching the worksheet once more.

OM_10154742
6-Contributor
(To:Werner_E)

See now

It didn't work the second time either but it worked via the PM you sent to me.
A mod or admin may have a look at what may be the cause of this problem @Jaime_Lee 

I attach your file here but I guess I found the error - you were too generous with the zeros 😉

Werner_E_0-1656360124002.png

I see that I also had no luck in attaching the file. Apparently a general problem that is currently occurring here in the forum. Hope it will be fixed soon.

OM_10154742
6-Contributor

This isn't working with units 

OM_10154742_0-1656364564448.png

@OM_10154742 wrote:

This isn't working with units 

Prime is unit aware and checks for consistency.

You definitely can't add a dimensionless number like 1.17 and an area like 1 in^2.

Werner_E_0-1656365466550.png

You sure can only add quantities of the same dimension!

I don't know where this formula stems from and what the meaning of the numbers is, but you get the correct result if you add the unit in^2 to the 1.17.

Werner_E_2-1656365941613.png

OM_10154742
6-Contributor

Thank you Werner

But when i try to use the variable instead of direct number in the same form the result is getting changed 

OM_10154742_0-1656432431736.png

Try to attach the worksheet. I guess it should work now.

Maybe the slight difference is because D is not 0.167 but 1/6=0.1666666.... ?
What happens if you write 1/6 instead of 0.167 in the lower expression both times it occurs?

OM_10154742
6-Contributor

Yes D seems to play the role for increased value in calculation how do i make it stop? I need the solution to be accurate with the variable equation is there any way in prime i can stop the integers to go beyond 0.167 and calculate the value correctly?

@OM_10154742 wrote:

Yes D seems to play the role for increased value in calculation how do i make it stop? I need the solution to be accurate with the variable equation is there any way in prime i can stop the integers to go beyond 0.167 and calculate the value correctly?

I seem not to understand.

The result you get when you use the variables IS the correct one.

The other which is using 0.167 instead of the correct value 1/6 is an approximation.

But if you really want to duplicate this result when using the variables, you could define D:=round(A/R*....., 3) to permanently set D to the value rounded to three decimals.

Jaime_Lee
Community Manager

Hi, thank you, @Werner_E for flagging this.  I had the file in question (the one able to be downloaded from private messenger) and sent to Khoros for investigation.

Strange behavior, indeed!  

Hi @Jaime_Lee ,

I already guessed the the answer supposedly from me to me which you deleted now was from you 🙂

I was actually afraid that the problem would affect all attachments, but of course it is quite possible that it is only this file. The OP had moved the file to an archive the second time, but a good system should of course be able to open that and check the file anyway.
I am now attaching two files as a test. One is a prime file from another thread, which caused no problems there, and the second is the file in question, but in a password-protected archive. The forum system should now no longer be able to access the file and should either reject the attachment for this reason or allow it through unhindered.

The password BTW is Jaime_Lee 😉

EDIT: OK, both files were attached normally. Now I try to additionally attach the file in question in its native format.

EDIT 2: Also the file in its native format was attached normally without problems now. So either it was a temporary hickup of the forum software or Khoros was quite fast in fixing the problem.

Jaime_Lee
Community Manager

Ok!  Will have this added to this ticket info if need be.  Great password 😉 Sends vibes of friendly....stellar CM skills...don't you think? More to come on this!

@Jaime_Lee 

Not sure if you already saw my second Edit. The problem seems to be fixed now already.

stellar CM = ??

sure not "The Stellar CM-6 Studio Microphone" (https://stellarmicdesign.com) 😉

Jaime_Lee
Community Manager

Wish I could say this was my "side hustle" but no microphone business for me!  Thank you for the update!

I simply did not understand what "stellar CM skills" means and G.Translate and DeepL were of no help. So I searched the net for it but found the mic-

Jaime_Lee
Community Manager

My American style of English was basically saying  stellar = aweseome (exceptional, above the rest). I wanted your validation 😉

@Werner_E I was playing with you.  My Monday night attempt of being funny.

But, you did find me an interesting second job career choice aka "side hustle" (selling microphones) should I ever need one.

This post has gotten way off topic.  No more from me.

DJNewman
17-Peridot

Going to go with "fantastic community manager skills"...

I manage the Creo and PTC Mathcad YouTube channels for PTC, as well as all PTC Mathcad marketing in general.

Oh sure, thanks!  CM = Community Manager, I didn't get that.

Jaime_Lee
Community Manager

@DJNewman  is too kind!  

@Werner_E I just tested the zip file on a test forum also and the virus scan was less than 30 seconds.  

Always bring these anomalies to us.  The CM Team (Community Management Team) appreciates it!

Top Tags