cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - When posting, your subject should be specific and summarize your question. Here are some additional tips on asking a great question. X

Integration vertically

awibroe
14-Alexandrite

Integration vertically

Hello to all,

I am looking to see if you can tell MathCAD to integrate not along the x axis by along the y axis.

In the attached I am trying to integrate the area above the plotted line i.e. from 0m upward to 5m integrating all the values of x in terms of y as opposed to the default which is to integrate under the line all the values of y in terms of x. There is madness to the logic as to why I want to do this I promise.

If I can get this to work the answer should obviously be 25m^2.

Thanks

AndyCapture.PNG

31 REPLIES 31
LucMeekes
23-Emerald III
(To:awibroe)

Just for completeness, here's a function to do 'vertical integration' on an arbitrary function (well.... arbitrary..... there are limitations):

VerticalIntegration0.png

VerticalIntegration1.png

Luc

tietjee
14-Alexandrite
(To:LucMeekes)

I can understand your desire to integrate along the y-axis.  You should go back to your calculus definition of integration.  There is a significant reason to only allow integration along the x-axis.  The only way this can be done if there is a unique relationship between x and y.

Example  y = Mx + B has a unique relationship between x and y i.e. for each x there is a unique y

Example y = Mx^2  This does not a unique relationship, for each y there are two x's that are a solution.

Cheers

Top Tags