cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Help us improve the PTC Community by taking this short Community Survey! X

Is it an error in Prime?

ValeryOchkov
24-Ruby IV

Is it an error in Prime?

ErrSolve.png

6 REPLIES 6

If you ask PTC you probably would hear that Its not bug, but a feature. 😉

I wouldn't call it a bug but a rather a quite senseless limitation of Prime. Prime, because of the evaluation equality sign, identifies a condition and then realizes that it is not..

Of course you may call it a bug, too, as I can't think of a situation where this behavior would be beneficial.

As fortunately we don't experience this behavior in Mathcad 15 we sure can say that is it at least a deterioration.

But

Find.png

Yes, a solve block is pure numerics and obviously immune against symbolics. In Prime, we can not even evaluate Find (x) symbolically - another step backwards.

LucMeekes
23-Emerald III
(To:ValeryOchkov)

I don't see what's wrong with this. the assigment of a/2 to x is just setting the guess value.

I would be very surprised if in this case the result of the Find() would have been 2, given the constraint that x^2=9.

Luc

@LucMeekes wrote:

I don't see what's wrong with this. the assigment of a/2 to x is just setting the guess value.

I would be very surprised if in this case the result of the Find() would have been 2, given the constraint that x^2=9.

Luc

The problem is not the result 2, but the problem is the solve block failing when the assignment of the guess value is followed by a numeric evaluation equal sign as shown in Valerys first post. A symbolic evaluation after the assignment does not result in an error - thats what Valery tried to point at.

The problem showed up in this thread

https://community.ptc.com/t5/PTC-Mathcad/Solve-block-error-quot-Not-a-valid-constraint-quot/m-p/630689/highlight/true#M187479

I wasn't aware of that problem in Prime, too, until I traced back the error in that thread and landed at this inline evaluation.

But it is one bug of Prime on 100%

Solver-Bug.png

Top Tags