cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - If community subscription notifications are filling up your inbox you can set up a daily digest and get all your notifications in a single email. X

MathCAD 15 & Prime 2 Installation

lsingh-2
1-Newbie

MathCAD 15 & Prime 2 Installation

Hi All,

I recently formatted my laptop. So I sent PTC support for new licenses to install these two products. However when I receievd the licenses, I installed them in the respective MathCAD folders in the C Drive of my laptop. When prompted for licenses by MathCAD software , I point the software to the license path. But still neither MCAD 15 or Prime 2 works. I have tried all ways, but this licensing system is a big draw back on MCAD. This was the same issue when I tried to install last time also.

PTC need to work on a simple mechanism to solve the licensing issues. I have other software, and not a single software has these kinds of licensing issues. But MCAD seem to be a totally unproffesional software (not to mention the poor reviews of Prime1, 2 and 3 and their functionality). I wanted to upgrade to Prime 3, but due to the poor reviews and without any necessary improvements, I had put the upgrading on hold.

Coming back to the point, can someone advice me on how to have a smooth installation of my products MCAD 15 and Prime 2?

Regards,

Lakhvinder Singh

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Gentlemen,

Thanks for the advice. I provided my Host ID/MAC Adrress, and got the correct license files. Now both MCAD 15 and Prime 2 are working fine. Thanks once again.

Regards,

Lakhvinder Singh

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

First check if the license files you received really are valid for yout machine. Look inside and compare if the "PTC Host ID" reference in the license file matches the MAC address of (one of) your network interface card(s).

If yes, one reason the licensing may fail is, that you copied the file manually in the "licenses" subdirectory of the Mathcad 15 installation directory and renamed it to license.dat yourself. Rename the file to something else or move it to a different directory and point the license manager of MC15 to that file.

Otherwise it seems you have to contact PTC support again.

BTW, if you just reformatted your harddrive, why didn't you backup your license file yourself and used that backup? If you didn't changed changed the NIC this license should be still valid for MC14 and Prime after a reformat (thats not necessarily true for MC14).

Werner,

I checked and the Host ID is different, and the Host ID on the license files are different. What do I do now?

Regards,

Lakhvinder Singh

If you request a new license because of hardware change or machine reinstallation, doesn't you have top provide the MAC address (PTC calls it Host ID) yourself for PTC support to be able to send you a new valid license file?

How did you et your license file? Did you use the PTC online license managing site or had you contact to some PTC employee? In both cases you would have to provide your MAC address, I guess.

What do I do now?

If the license file really is not valid for your machine, you will have to recontact PTC support.

Werner Exinger wrote:

... In both cases you would have to provide your MAC address, I guess...

That is correct. MAC address must be the same.

VladimirN. wrote:

Werner Exinger wrote:

... In both cases you would have to provide your MAC address, I guess...

That is correct. MAC address must be the same.

Sure, I was just wondering what lakhvinder did to get his new license file. Whatever he did he would have ben forced to provide the MAC address, so its unclear what went wrong.

Gentlemen,

Thanks for the advice. I provided my Host ID/MAC Adrress, and got the correct license files. Now both MCAD 15 and Prime 2 are working fine. Thanks once again.

Regards,

Lakhvinder Singh

Top Tags