cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Learn all about the Community Ranking System, a fun gamification element of the PTC Community. X

MathCad Help

vlehner
13-Aquamarine

MathCad Help

Hello,

I installed MC5.0 and tryed to start the F1 Help Button, but there is no Help dokumentation available.

How can I fix this?

Windows 10-64Bit

Java is updated

Thank you for your help

Volker

Volker
7 REPLIES 7

Not sure why you don't see the help pages.

In Prime 5 there seems to be no local help. Help is only available online.

If you press F1, your default browser should open, connect to support.ptc.com and show the appropriate page.

Start page of the help is

https://support.ptc.com/help/mathcad/en/index.html#page/PTC_Mathcad_Help

So if you have a browser set up working OK and a working internet connection, you should see the help.

You may try a reinstall of P5 or contact PTC support.

@Werner_E wrote:

Surely you jest!

Using the browser to read local files is enough, but no local files?  Wow!!

@Fred_Kohlhepp wrote:

@Werner_E wrote:

Surely you jest!

Not me, its PTCs special sense of humor.

DJF
16-Pearl
16-Pearl
(To:Werner_E)

The default is to not install it locally, but it should be an option during installation.  

2018-08-21_7-46-45.jpg

Fred_Kohlhepp
23-Emerald I
(To:DJF)

does that mean they download the files to your computer but don't use them unless you tell them to?

Memory hogs!!

@Fred_Kohlhepp wrote:

does that mean they download the files to your computer but don't use them unless you tell them to?

Memory hogs!!

No in standard installation the help files are not unpacked locally and are only available online.

If you chose at installation time to unpack the help files locally, the browser is pointed to the locally saved files of course.

I don't like the behaviour of having online help as default option - it should be the other way round and clearly stated at installation time that you can save about 75 MB of disk space per language (the help is available in 10 languages) if you chose to use online help.

Given nowadays storage size this minimal save of space sure does not justify the hassles of online help files.

Only reason for online help could be better timeliness. But  there is no reason why locally stored help files shouldn't be automatically updated as need, too, and given the development speed of Prime this is very unlikely anyway.

Werner_E
24-Ruby V
(To:DJF)

@DJF wrote:

The default is to not install it locally, but it should be an option during installation.  

Yes, I can confirm the documentation is correct. I had not noticed that option when I installed the software.

There is no option to change the installation later and add the help files- you'll have to start the Prime 5 setup anew to install the help files locally.

Top Tags