cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - If community subscription notifications are filling up your inbox you can set up a daily digest and get all your notifications in a single email. X

Mathcad 14 & Excel 2010

TimHolmes
1-Newbie

Mathcad 14 & Excel 2010

Having recently upgraded to MathCAD 14, using Windows 7 and Excel 2010, when I add an excel sheet into MathCAD 14, MathCAD stops working. Its the same with previous excel files in existing MathCAD documents, when I try and exdit (by double cliccking) MathCAD crashes out. I have tried re-installing etc. It was also doing with with Excel 2007.

Any ideas on a fix for this, as I really can't use MathCAD without the ability to insert excel sheets.

Thanks

Tim

18 REPLIES 18
FDS
12-Amethyst
12-Amethyst
(To:TimHolmes)

Tim, as far as I know MC 14 does not work with Excel 2010. You have 2 options upgrade to MC 15 or use a lower version of MS Excel.

TimHolmes
1-Newbie
(To:FDS)

Thanks,

Its a shame because I have just paid for the upgrade to MC14, thinking that it would be compatible! - I had therefore expected it to work with Excel 2010 because this was released around about the same time.

Tim

FDS
12-Amethyst
12-Amethyst
(To:FDS)

Tim, if you just upgraded it is possible that PTC allows you (depending on the type of contract) to download MC 15 for free as part of the maintenance. Maybe you should ask PTC. Good luck.

Tim,

Matcad 14 works Excel 2003 and Mathcad 15 works with Excel 2007.

There no Mathcad release that works with Excel 2010 yet.

So either I have to upgrade to v15 and go back to Excel 2007 or keep v14 and go back to 2003, will there be a patch available as its not exactly practical either way.

Tim

I am not aware of any plans at this stage for a patch to make Mathcad 15 work with Excel 2010. You may have to wait until December when Mathcad Prime is released. I am not 100% certain so it's best if you confirm with PTC.

MikeArmstrong
5-Regular Member
(To:CezarMincu)

Cezar Mincu wrote:

Tim,

Matcad 14 works Excel 2003 and Mathcad 15 works with Excel 2007.

There no Mathcad release that works with Excel 2010 yet.

Cezar,

I have M14 and it works fine with Excel 2007.

Mike

when you say that mathcad 15 works with Excel 2007, does that include the import data wizard function, i cannot seem that to read xlsm or xlsx files but will read xls files. is there a secret to getting those to work with mcad v 15

You can import Excel 2007 files through the Data Wizard, but the preview is not working correctly, so you can't select rows and columns, just the entire worksheet. That has been logged.

Mona

SM1
1-Newbie
1-Newbie
(To:mzeftel)

Here we go again! New release and not compatible with old feature.

Tell me why anyone should upgrade to MC15? Typical of Mathcad.

mzeftel
1-Newbie
(To:SM1)

Actually you can use Mathcad 15 and even Mathcad 14 with Excel 2010. You just have to save your Excel file to the lower version, Excel 2007 for Mathcad 15 and Excel 2003 (xls) for Mathcad 14.

The issues with the Data Wizard have been logged and should be fixed for the maintenance release.

Mona

Is this going to be fixed for Mathcad 14 or only 15? When is the fix release date? Is this serious? It takes over 3 years to bring a simple import filter up to date? It's not as simple as saving the Excel file in an old format because that raises Excel compatibility issues.

Robin,

Excel 2010 has not been out for 3 years. We have a new version of Mathcad, called Mathcad Prime, which is still in development. Going forward, we will be supporting Mathcad 15 and Mathcad Prime. The upgrade to Mathcad 15 includes a year of maintenance.

Mona

Mona,

The xlsx format was released with Excel 2007 which beta'd in 2005 and was first commercially available in 2006. The xlsm file format is also an Excel 2007 format.

As far as I know there is no change in the format with the release of Excel 2010.

Robin

Robin,

Mathcad 15 does work with Excel 2007. We did not test it with Excel 2010.

I just tested Mathcad 15 and it read in both XLS and XLSM files with the function READEXCEL.

I don't have Excel 2010 on my system.

Regards,

Mona

So I take it there's not going to be a fix for Mathcad 14? When is the fix for 15 going to be available?

MikeArmstrong
5-Regular Member
(To:mzeftel)

Mona Zeftel wrote:

Robin,

Excel 2010 has not been out for 3 years. We have a new version of Mathcad, called Mathcad Prime, which is still in development. Going forward, we will be supporting Mathcad 15 and Mathcad Prime. The upgrade to Mathcad 15 includes a year of maintenance.

Mona

Mona,

Will Mathcad Prime be fully compatible with Excel 2010? I know Prime 1.0 will not support external components but does PTC expect to have full Excel compatibility by Prime 2.0.

Also, when is the expected release date of Prime 1.0.

Mike

MikeArmstrong
5-Regular Member
(To:PeterCarey)

Peter Carey wrote:

when you say that mathcad 15 works with Excel 2007, does that include the import data wizard function, i cannot seem that to read xlsm or xlsx files but will read xls files. is there a secret to getting those to work with mcad v 15

Peter,

I said I have M14 not M15.

Mike

Top Tags