cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The community will undergo maintenance on October 16th at 10:00 PM PDT and will be unavailable for up to one hour.

Mathcad 14 Install and license not working

adept
3-Visitor

Mathcad 14 Install and license not working

I recently had my computer refurbished and am goin g through reloading my software. Mathcad 14 is not cooperating. I reinstalled, provided the code that came with the CD and uninstalled the license from the previous computer and redownloaded the new license file. The new license file has the correct HOST ID, but mathcad tells me that it isn't correct and redirects me to select a new file. ? COuld it be that the license fiel doesn't include Mathcad? can't understand why? Pleas

ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
MartinHanak
24-Ruby III
(To:adept)

Hi,

my suggestion follows:

• open Command prompt window
  • run ipconfig /all > ip.txt command
  • open ip.txt in Notepad and check whether HOST ID is present
  • network card with HOST ID assigned must be connected to network (if it is disconnected then Mathcad will not find it)

Martin Hanák

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11
LucMeekes
23-Emerald III

I'm confident that your license file includes Mathcad. But I'm not so confident that it still is valid. I think you should read this:

https://community.ptc.com/t5/Mathcad-Tips/Official-PTC-Mathcad-15-and-Prime-1-6-End-of-Sale-Announcement/ta-p/818870

If you have a perpetual license for Mathcad 14, you should contact PTC support...

Success!
Luc

adept
3-Visitor
(To:LucMeekes)

I own a perpetual license from before PTC took over Mathcad, but they still managed licenses. Contact PTC? How?

BenLoosli
23-Emerald II

Go to this webpage: eSupport | PTC

Under Popular Tasks, select Manage Licenses

On the right select Case Logger to open a support case.

adept
3-Visitor
(To:BenLoosli)

When I go there it tells me that I have insufficient privileges? 

MartinHanak
24-Ruby III

Hi,

my suggestion follows:

• open Command prompt window
  • run ipconfig /all > ip.txt command
  • open ip.txt in Notepad and check whether HOST ID is present
  • network card with HOST ID assigned must be connected to network (if it is disconnected then Mathcad will not find it)

Martin Hanák

Thanks Martin,

The only network connection that is connected was the HOST ID that I used to move the license and this is confirmed Flex install manager list the Host ID at the base of it's dialog box window.

MartinHanak
24-Ruby III

@adept wrote:

Thanks Martin,

The only network connection that is connected was the HOST ID that I used to move the license and this is confirmed Flex install manager list the Host ID at the base of it's dialog box window.

Hi,

it is not clear from your answer if Mathcad 14 works, now.

Martin Hanák

It does not work. PTC called me directly to explain that they no longer support version of Mathcad other than Mathcad Prime? With an added twist with an attempt to get us back on subscription. We mentioned that we went through the move license process about 6 months ago and everything went smoothly.  I  asked why they are still offering the license moving ability if it does not work? No response other than a canned sorry we can't help you without giving us money. This call was entirely unncecessary, merely a sales push. We left PTC years ago over poor support with CREO, and have found our new VAR's and software always eager to help over and above. We will no longer be using Mathcad or any other product from PTC. Thanks for your help Martin.

MartinHanak
24-Ruby III

@adept wrote:

It does not work. PTC called me directly to explain that they no longer support version of Mathcad other than Mathcad Prime? With an added twist with an attempt to get us back on subscription. We mentioned that we went through the move license process about 6 months ago and everything went smoothly.  I  asked why they are still offering the license moving ability if it does not work? No response other than a canned sorry we can't help you without giving us money. This call was entirely unncecessary, merely a sales push. We left PTC years ago over poor support with CREO, and have found our new VAR's and software always eager to help over and above. We will no longer be using Mathcad or any other product from PTC. Thanks for your help Martin.

Hi,

if you have:

• license file generated for the right Host ID
  • Mathcad 14 installation media
  • Flexnet installation media (in case that your license is floating)

and use the right Windows operating system then Mathcad 14 must work.

Martin Hanák
Werner_E
25-Diamond I
(To:MartinHanak)

@MartinHanak wrote:

Hi,

if you have:

• license file generated for the right Host ID
  • Mathcad 14 installation media
  • Flexnet installation media (in case that your license is floating)

and use the right Windows operating system then Mathcad 14 must work.

Hmm, as I understood it, the new license file was generated for the right Host ID, but I guess it did not cover Mathcad14/15 but only Prime garbage (up to Prime 6 the license file covers both - real Mathcad and Prime but starting with Prime 7 the licenses only covered Prime and did not work for Mathcad). If thats the case, it won't work for Mathcad 14 of course and dropping PTC's products altogether seems to be the only reasonable way to go (apart from continuing using the old license file by installing a software virtual network card which can be set to the MAC address the license file expects).

Reading about PTC's reaction and "suppport" it looks like PTC's interpretation of a "perpetual" license is "lifetime" license with respect to the lifetime of the product and ends when PTC simply decides to announce that the product should die 😞

IMHO end of support and sale should not mean that no license files can be generated anymore by users owning a perpetual license.

Hi,

only @adept knows what code is included inside new license file. If he wants, he will show us its contents...

Martin Hanák
Announcements

Top Tags