cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Did you get called away in the middle of writing a post? Don't worry you can find your unfinished post later in the Drafts section of your profile page. X

Mathcad 14 M020 and McAfee

famisano
1-Newbie

Mathcad 14 M020 and McAfee

Good evening. I've a strange problem with Mathcad 14 M020. I work with MS Windows Vista Business, where I've installed Mathcad 14 M020. I have McAfee as antivirus. The product works well, but when I start the McAfee utility for maintenance of the PC (cleaning registry, deleting temporary files, etc.) it seems that Mathcad loses some functionality. When I open it, it has apparently lost the possibility of accessing to external files (with and without Wizard option), as the product server could not start (indeed this is the message I receive). I solve the problem by using the "repair" option on Windows control panel, but it is strange. I've also asked to the PTC assistance, that helped me to solve the problem when it happens, but not to remove it (although when I asked to them I hadn't yet realized the causal link between McAfee routine running and Mathcad problem). Is there anybody that has similar troubles? It is not really a dramatic issue, but I would prefer to avoid these system problems (maybe it depends on the antivirus and/or the system, I don't know). Thanks in advance! Franco
10 REPLIES 10

i use mathcad v 14 M035 , whenever is use my registry cleaner i loose all data import and export use - the functions cease to work at all and just give an error if they were already in a work sheet. I have tried exempting all registry entries with Mathcad, Mathsoft or Mcad - with no luck. Acelogix (the cleaner software maker) has been no help to date. does any one know what part of the registry is used for data import and export functions (the problem is for all the component and data inserts)The issue goes away if i restore the registry to its pre cleaned state --- as this issue been addressed ?
RichardJ
19-Tanzanite
(To:PeterCarey)

Antivirus problem: I would think McAfee is the the most likely source of help for this. Have you contacted them, or posted on a McAfee forum (I assume one exists)? Registry cleaning: I use CCleaner. It's free, it's highly rated, and I have not had any problems. Richard

Thanks for your suggestions. Indeed I use another register cleaner too, TuneUp, and it cleans registers without any problem, so I agree, problem seems to be McAfee. I'll ask them to have an answer, anyway it's good that problem is not due to Mathcad. Franco
RichardJ
19-Tanzanite
(To:famisano)

As another reference point, I use Norton Internet Security for antivirus, antispyware, etc. I also have no problems with that. Richard

I have found that not scanning for Active X and Com type registry entries eliminated the problem i was having i am attaching a list of the Active X and Com type entries the AceLogix cleaner wanted to delete - does anyone know which of them are MCAD related
RichardJ
19-Tanzanite

The extension on that file may be txt, but I don't have anything that will read it. I can see some pieces of text in it, but mostly it's garbage. Richard
RichardJ
19-Tanzanite
(To:RichardJ)

Forget it. It's Unicode UTF-8 encoded. Richard
RichardJ
19-Tanzanite
(To:RichardJ)

Your problem is with the Software\Wow6432Node\Classes\ key. I didn't check all of them, but at a minimum most of the DLLs and OCXs listed are valid parts of Mathcad. That key is a registry redirection for 64 bit versions of Windows when you have a 32 bit application. Your registry cleaner appears to not be handling it correctly. When you talked to them did you tell them you were running 64 bit Windows? Richard

yes they are aware of that, so far they have been of little help. do you know if the wow number changes with time or is it fixed with the installation, i can exempt all the items with a given WOW value
RichardJ
19-Tanzanite

"Peter Carey" wrote:

yes they are aware of that, so far they have been of little help. do you know if the wow number changes with time or is it fixed with the installation, i can exempt all the items with a given WOW value

Top Tags