cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Did you know you can set a signature that will be added to all your posts? Set it here! X

Mathcad Community Challenge March 2022 - Planetary Gear Calculation

DaveMartin
16-Pearl

Mathcad Community Challenge March 2022 - Planetary Gear Calculation

Let’s face it, planetary gears are cool. They are used in all kinds of mechanisms, including transmissions, motors, and turbines. Your challenge, should you choose to accept it, is to use Mathcad to build a worksheet that calculates the gear ratios and output speeds of a planetary gear under different configurations.

The math behind the gear ratios is straightforward. But users should be able to select:

• The sun or planet carrier as the input;
  • The planet carrier or ring as the output; and,
  • The ring, sun, or planet carrier as the stationary component.

How can the user select the desired component? How can you add intelligence to the worksheet to prevent an incorrect combination of input, output, and stationary?

What inputs do you want for your calculator? You will have to make some choices. Your choices could include:

• Number of planets
  • Number of teeth
  • Component diameters
  • Module / pitch

Tools that you might consider include Combo boxes, programs, and functions involving strings.

Here are some technical references to get you started:

KHK Gears

Instructables

How Stuff Works

Once again, this is a great project for students to work on in teams. Make the worksheet as simple or as complicated as you want. Others can build on your work, and you can build on others. Let’s see what the community can create! Good luck!

Find the Mathcad Community Challenge Guidelines here!

Dave Martin - dmartin@creowindchill.com - https://www.mcaeconsulting.com
3 REPLIES 3

Very interesting challenge you've posed. Although I will not participate, I can share a starting point and see if anybody will try it. As a senior professional in industry, I solved this exact problem many years ago with Mathcad...to a much further extent involving F, S & T loads (for helical gears), speeds, heat generation, lube requirements and bearing lives. I also linked it into "MathConnex" for a more visual system builder and I/O tool. The process I'll toss-out as a starting point uses matrices to solve planetary and coupled planetary systems...it's a very nice approach and leverages Mathcad's capabilities well..

Cheers!

Chris

Hi Chris,

@ChrisKaswer wrote:

... Although I will not participate, I can share a starting point and see if anybody will try it...

It would be great!

Top Tags