cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - If community subscription notifications are filling up your inbox you can set up a daily digest and get all your notifications in a single email. X

Mathcad Prime Copy to Word in Vector Format

BD_10012966
4-Participant

Mathcad Prime Copy to Word in Vector Format

Hi everyone,

I started Mathcad with Prime without knowing the all extra functionalities Mathcad 15 has. Please see the following screenshot. If I copy and paste Mathcad 15 lines and paste into the Word, result is perfect, everything is clear and it seems like vector image since I can resize it.

If I copy and paste Prime lines, it is awful. I cannot put that in my report like that. Same result with rtf export. PDF export is better, but I have to include those in my report.

So, I know this comment is made thousand times in this forum, but how PTC can think removing too many functionalities and features is a good idea? I mean almost everybody uses Mathcad to supplement reports. I would like to hear your user experience too. Do you only attach your report as PDF?

Is there anyway to get the calculations to Word from Mathcad? (I know the answer, no.)

BD_10012966_0-1629215336973.png

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
LucMeekes
23-Emerald III
(To:BD_10012966)

I generally NOT use Prime, but Mathcad 11. That's unfortunately not an option for you, but you (still) can use Mathcad 15, which should be capable of similar options as shown below (a screenshot of a page in MsWord I just assembled, the text I typed in MsWord is on a blue background):

LucMeekes_1-1629295605940.png

As you will guess, I generally use the first option.

The 'Mathcad document object' fails to show results probably because I have automatic calculation turned off by default. This option embeds the Mathcad sheet file into the MsWord document. Now if you have several pieces of a single Mathcad sheet that you want to put scattered over your MsWord file, you are embedding the same sheet several times, each time with a different view on the embedded sheet. I think that's a problem. The other point is that if you resize the 'picture' (= the view window), the Mathcad regions start to move.

The picture in this forum isn't as sharp as I see it on the screen. The MsWord file is attached, so you can see for yourself.

Success!
Luc

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8

Hi,

I'm using Mathcad 15 to prepare my reports. You can export Mathcad 15 files as a rtf file and import it in word but this works only if you do not have controls in the work sheet as these get jumbled during import.

Anyhow, you must prepare to shift lines and equations into the right place within the word sheet therefore I recommend this procedure only for short reports. So the answer is yes, attach your calculations as a pdf. PTC didn't bother to rectify this in Mathcad 15 and prime is even worse.

BD_10012966
4-Participant
(To:Raiko)

Hi, thanks for the answer.

As I have shown in the screenshot in the post, Mathcad 15 behaviour is more than OK for me. Because the copy and paste results in vector graphics - so high quality. For Mathcad Prime, it is not the case. Again, as you can see in the screenshot, it looks awful. 

LucMeekes
23-Emerald III

I think 'awfull' expresses a sense of (dis)taste, and taste is a debatable matter. Prime copy to MsWord paste can only be done as a bitmap. As long as you don't mess with that bitmap (keep it the same size and aspect ratio) the result may be OK, although the edges of the font characters are not as sharp as you might want. You should try changing the font (in Prime), this is Times New Roman:

LucMeekes_0-1629291053252.png

instead of the default:

LucMeekes_1-1629291151588.png

Success!
Luc

BD_10012966
4-Participant
(To:LucMeekes)

Thanks for the answer. You are right, changing the font helped a little bit. But I think you would agree that in the screenshots I have shared Prime one looks worse.

LucMeekes
23-Emerald III

I generally NOT use Prime, but Mathcad 11. That's unfortunately not an option for you, but you (still) can use Mathcad 15, which should be capable of similar options as shown below (a screenshot of a page in MsWord I just assembled, the text I typed in MsWord is on a blue background):

LucMeekes_1-1629295605940.png

As you will guess, I generally use the first option.

The 'Mathcad document object' fails to show results probably because I have automatic calculation turned off by default. This option embeds the Mathcad sheet file into the MsWord document. Now if you have several pieces of a single Mathcad sheet that you want to put scattered over your MsWord file, you are embedding the same sheet several times, each time with a different view on the embedded sheet. I think that's a problem. The other point is that if you resize the 'picture' (= the view window), the Mathcad regions start to move.

The picture in this forum isn't as sharp as I see it on the screen. The MsWord file is attached, so you can see for yourself.

Success!
Luc

BD_10012966
4-Participant

Thanks great answer! But shouldn't I be worried about Mathcad 15 to be discontinued in near future? Right now we have a license and we will have an access. What if we purchase Mathcad next year, will we have access to Mathcad 15 too? In story short, would my sheets will be irrelevant in the near future if I use Mathcad 15?

LucMeekes
23-Emerald III

All the more reason to paste as Windows Metafile picture, because that's tied loose from Mathcad. PTC has decided that Mathcad 15 will be discontinued by the end of this year. You can buy a license that will stretch the use a few more years, but then it stops. Long time users of Mathcad may have a license that will not expire (as opposed to the yearly subscription that you now only can obtain as a new user). Those licenses will only expire when the computer it is installed on dies.

BUT, you have a licensed Prime (7 ?) and you can always convert your Mathcad 15 files to Prime. And PTC hopes to provide an 'optional view of legacy mathcad sheet' into Prime in the next version already! Else, use my program. It's free to use and works mostly well, as long as you do not suppress to store results in the sheet file.

Considering all the other features they're promising for the future (super/subscripts, text styles and ToC), you will be writing your reports fully in Prime, instead of in MsWord. No need to copy expressions over...

Success!
Luc

BD_10012966
4-Participant

Thanks a lot. But to clarify one thing: There is no option in Prime to copy and paste as metafile (vector file). All we can do is bitmap. And I can't see that on the road map, which is really sad. Because, I shouldn't be alone in copying and pasting from Prime to Word. Let's see.

Top Tags