cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Did you get called away in the middle of writing a post? Don't worry you can find your unfinished post later in the Drafts section of your profile page. X

Mathcad Prime Issue

MikeArmstrong
5-Regular Member

Mathcad Prime Issue

I have just brought a user defined function 'vec' into Prime which takes a single argument and converts to a vector i.e. a range variable. However, I am having an issue typing a range inside pre-definedbrackets.

Clipboard01.jpg

In Prime this does not seem achievable.

Clipboard02.jpg

I must be missing something here!!!

35 REPLIES 35

And the second in Prime:

r2v.png

MikeArmstrong
5-Regular Member
(To:ValeryOchkov)

Returning vector a individual nested elements??.

This sure is kind of a sever bug in Prime which you should report!

MikeArmstrong
5-Regular Member
(To:Werner_E)

I will. Valery shown a range can be defined and then passed to the function, but again, this is only a workaround.

There is more than just 1 issue!

Not being able to enter a range inside a pair of function arguments parentheses is just one and the minor one I guess. I also quite often happens that Prime will refuse to paste a copied expression (like a cpmplicated function name) at some place, while it will at least allow to retype it there - thats quite annoying and gives the impression of a rather ill-conceived program.

The more severe bug is the different behaviour whether an expression is evaluated on its own or if it is assigned a variable. This is truly very bad! Valery shows this in his second post but it can be also duplicated with the routine in his first file:

19.06.png

MikeArmstrong
5-Regular Member

That is very poor behavior .

I would be keen to hear PTC's take on this. Why are the elements being nested when in line evaluation is executed.

Mike Armstrong wrote:

That is very poor behavior .

I would be keen to hear PTC's take on this. Why are the elements being nested when in line evaluation is executed.

We don't even know if the displayed structures are valid vectors or something else (ranges,...) as in Prime they are displayed the very same way. I guess that vec(r)[0,0 shown at the lower left in my screenshot isn't a vector anyway. Try to access its first element vec(r)[0,0[0 and you get an error.

MikeArmstrong
5-Regular Member

We get the same issues in M15.

Clipboard01.jpg

Wow, thats funny, indeed!

MikeArmstrong
5-Regular Member

Werner Exinger wrote:

Wow, thats funny, indeed!

Funny or annoying?

I have tried modfying the vec function to include a IsNested trap function but it is not classed as a nested vector so it does not work

Funny or annoying?

Awfully bad, indeed!

Ranges can lead to quite confusing effects.

Wish we could get rid of them and use just vectors (as in SMath studio).

MikeArmstrong
5-Regular Member

Werner Exinger wrote:

Funny or annoying?

Awfully bad, indeed!

Ranges can lead to quite confusing effects.

Wish we could get rid of them and use just vectors (as in SMath studio).

I secondly this. Definately something I will be recommending in the next beta testing.

There are indeed a couple of things to consider if we want to do without ranges and backward compatibility would be a major issue (unless they treat program development still that sloppily as they have done so far).

MikeArmstrong
5-Regular Member

Werner Exinger wrote:

There are indeed a couple of things to consider if we want to do without ranges and backward compatibility would be a major issue (unless they treat program development still that sloppily as they have done so far).

Backward compatibility does not seem to high on PTC's agenda so why not make the changes going forward.

Backward compatibility does not seem to high on PTC's agenda so why not make the changes going forward.

From what I have seen so far - going forward does not seem to be that high an PTC's agenda as well.

RichardJ
19-Tanzanite

I think the agenda is to go backward with a lack of forward compatibility

BTW, this topic of inconsistent handling of range variables and range values when passed as an argument to a function was discussed a long time ago. I can't find the old thread though.

Richard Jackson wrote:

I think the agenda is to go backward with a lack of forward compatibility

BTW, this topic of inconsistent handling of range variables and range values when passed as an argument to a function was discussed a long time ago. I can't find the old thread though.

Maybe this explanation (rather a statement that it is that way) of Tom Gutman? http://communities.ptc.com/message/128487#128487

RichardJ
19-Tanzanite

That wasn't the one I was thinking of, but a good find. It would be later than that. As you know, there are several versions of this function kicking around, and the behavior of each with the numeric and symbolic processors is somewhat different. There was an entire thread about it somewhere. I have a feeling it might have been in the private "Power Users" group though, which would explain why I can't find it.

BTW, you are the lucky recipient of my 10,000th post

Edit: That's wierd! I was at 9,999 posts, and then I posted this and I'm at 10,001 posts.

MikeArmstrong
5-Regular Member
(To:RichardJ)

Richard Jackson wrote:

Edit: That's wierd! I was at 9,999 posts, and then I posted this and I'm at 10,001 posts.

10,000 posts is quite impressive.

It's a pity Dan has left - he might of given you a a badge.

Congratulations!

I was searching for I while how you would know the number of the post, looking in the depths of the menues. Silly me! It was right in front of my eyes all the times, as you know. In your case I guess its not 10000 since 2010, as it says.

MikeArmstrong
5-Regular Member

Werner Exinger wrote:

I was searching for I while how you would know the number of the post, looking in the depths of the menues. Silly me! It was right in front of my eyes all the times, as you know. In your case I guess its not 10000 since 2010, as it says.

I think not otherwise he would have a fair few more 'community points'.

Ah, I see! Good point!

I have here 6 000th post

MikeArmstrong
5-Regular Member
(To:ValeryOchkov)

Congratulations also

Congratulations, too!

But like it was with Richard, your counter now says 6001.

RichardJ
19-Tanzanite

When I looked again this morning, it says 10,000 posts. Very strange. Bit noise?

The number of posts includes everything pulled in from the Collab. I have no idea how the points were calculated based on that. I asked Dan once why Mike had more points with fewer posts, but never got a meaningful answer (not that I care much, just a curiosity).

MikeArmstrong
5-Regular Member
(To:RichardJ)

Richard Jackson wrote:

I have no idea how the points were calculated based on that. I asked Dan once why Mike had more points with fewer posts, but never got a meaningful answer (not that I care much, just a curiosity).

I remember being brought over and being given an arbitrary 500points which made no sense at all.

If my memory also serves me right, you were initially brought over and had duplicate accounts with new account joined dates.

MikeArmstrong
5-Regular Member

Werner Exinger wrote:

Maybe this explanation (rather a statement that it is that way) of Tom Gutman? http://communities.ptc.com/message/128487#128487

Well found Werner.

Interesting to read Tom's comment 'There may be a bug report lurking in there somewhere. But I rather like the assignment behavior, and think it will be useful (when a later version of MC becomes the preferred vehicle).'

Only if we knew then what we know now?

It's a shame we lost people like Tom from the forum when we transferred over.

I fully agree! Tom not posting here anymore is a very big loss for the community. I remember he reported problems with login when the forum was moved and finally he gave up as of the unprofessional way all of this was done by PTC.

Top Tags