cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - New to the community? Learn how to post a question and get help from PTC and industry experts! X

Mathcad solve error

prajendran
11-Garnet

Mathcad solve error

I was trying to solve for a function and i believe it gave an incorrect solution as i verified.

Can someone please assist?

Thanks

3 REPLIES 3

I don't believe your second line

Capture.PNG

By one example

Capture1.PNG

DON'T TRUST SYMBOLICS, they were never strong

LucMeekes
23-Emerald III
(To:prajendran)

In such cases, first solve symbolically, then apply the numbers. Now:LM_20190529_Symbolic.png

Notice how the result for phi(A,E,k,tau) will result in an error when I try to evaluate it with the given data. The reason is that in the solution for phi there is a tan(k*pi/4) occurring a few times. With k=2, that results in tan(k*pi/4)=tan(pi/2) which is undefined, or infinite, whichever you like better. This is the cause why your symbolic answer can produce an erratic answer.

If I change k a tiny bit different from 2, a valid result appears.

Success!
Luc

The problem occurs once again because of Primes outrageously auto labelling feature, which ever so often does not work as it should and makes more pain than blessings.

Look how Prime simplifies one of your definite integrals:

B1.png

This is definitely wrong as the result should not contain any occurrence of variable t any more. The reason for that error is, that Prime label the "t" as argument in function R.1e as "variable", but the "t" in the differential "dt" as "automatic".

And as Primes symbolic, when trying to solve your equation, first simplifies the integrals, it comes to the wrong solution Phi = tau.

If you correct this error by labelling both "t" the same (either both as "variable" or both as "auto"), it looks like Prime can't give you a result for the integral

B2.png

and consequently is also not able to solve your equation

B3.png (the error is "no solution found").

BUT .... the reason this time is that you used a floating point number (0.2) which unfortunately forces Primes symbolic to some sort of float mode. If you change 0.2 to 2/10 (or 1/5, of course), Mathcad is able to calculate the integral and is also able to solve your equation (after a while of "thinking").

B4.png

The calculations below in your sheet are correct, as Primes auto-label feature worked correct here and all "t" are labelled the same.

Top Tags