cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community email notifications are disrupted. While we are working to resolve, please check on your favorite boards regularly to keep up with your conversations and new topics.

Minimizing like valves between vectors?

dsochor
5-Regular Member

Minimizing like valves between vectors?

Is it possible to use the minimum function to create a vector of the minimum line-by-line between of two or more vectors?

Edited to include Mathcad 15 version

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
RichardJ
19-Tanzanite
(To:dsochor)

In MC15 there are three different summation operators. You had the one for range variable summation. I replaced it with the one for vector summation.

I just noticed that there was a slight error in that worksheet:

View solution in original post

15 REPLIES 15
RichardJ
19-Tanzanite

You say "Use solve block to find c", but you find x, Fs, and C. But x is not defined and appears nowhere in your equations. You also have a summation with an empty placeholder (you can do that in Prime, not in Mathcad 15). If you get rid of x and the summation you get a solution:

dsochor
5-Regular Member
(To:RichardJ)

Thank you Richard, that x was meant to be a c. In your reply, how did you get the complete vectors to display and not vectors shown as their size: {2,1}?

RichardJ
19-Tanzanite

Thank you Richard, that x was meant to be a c.

OK. What was the summation supposed to be?

how did you get the complete vectors to display and not vectors shown as their size: {2,1}?

Put the cursor in the result, select "Format", "Result", "Display Options", and check "Expand nested arrays".

dsochor
5-Regular Member

Thank you Richard. The idea behind the solve block is to determine what c is. The summation of Fs is because there are multiple Fs values (d is a vector) and C has one valve. Both Fs and C depend on c. All the Fs and C values should add to zero and this should allow the solve block to find c. Because a summation can't be used, is there another way to do this?

RichardJ
19-Tanzanite

Is this what you want?

dsochor
5-Regular Member

Can this be done with one single c value and 2+ valves for Fs? I was able to get this to work in Prime with one valve for c and three values of Fs using the summation function but I was unable to get the min function in Fs to work. If one value is c is needed maybe this will only work in Prime?

RichardJ
19-Tanzanite

If it works in Prime, it can be made to work n MC15, but I suspect you are not seeing what you think you are seeing in Prime. For scalar As and d you have three equations, therefore you must solve for three unknowns. When you make A.s and d two element vectors then you have 6 equations, and you must solve for six unknowns. If you restrict c to be the same for both values of As and d then you have only 5 unknowns, and in general there will be no solution. This is true regardless of what math software (or pencil and paper) you use to try and solve the equations.

dsochor
5-Regular Member

The values for A.s and d are known. The only unknown valve is c.

F.s utilizes c in its definition and C also utilizes c in its definitions. The summation of F.s added to C equals 0 is the equation that relates the two. My goal is to enter this as one equation (F.s+C =0) with one unknown (c). Maybe I've entered this incorrectly.

RichardJ
19-Tanzanite

This?

dsochor
5-Regular Member

Thank you Richard. How were you able to remove the black square below the Sigma in the summation of F.s(c)?

RichardJ
19-Tanzanite

In MC15 there are three different summation operators. You had the one for range variable summation. I replaced it with the one for vector summation.

I just noticed that there was a slight error in that worksheet:

dsochor
5-Regular Member

It looks like this works Richard. Thank you!

dsochor
5-Regular Member

Is there a way to make F.s(c)/A.s divide each value of F.s by the corresponding value in A.s (F.s1/A.s1, F.s2/A.s2, etc.)? In the attached worksheet the values resulting from this division are strangely the same.

When using the min operator in Prime in the Fs(c) statement I get an error that says: "min has multiple definitions, you must specify the label to select the definition that you want". It appears there is no place to "specify a label." You wouldn't know what this error means?

RichardJ
19-Tanzanite

Is there a way to make F.s(c)/A.s divide each value of F.s by the corresponding value in A.s (F.s1/A.s1, F.s2/A.s2, etc.)? In the attached worksheet the values resulting from this division are strangely the same.

Sure they are the same:

Once you have found c, all the variables on the RHS are fixed, so Fs(c)/As is the same for all pairs of Fs(c) and As

When using the min operator in Prime in the Fs(c) statement I get an error that says: "min has multiple definitions, you must specify the label to select the definition that you want". It appears there is no place to "specify a label." You wouldn't know what this error means?

Put your cursor in "min". On the math tab click on "labels" and select "function".

dsochor
5-Regular Member

Should the values not be the same because d is different in each case? In the attached the values on the RHS side don't match.

Thank you, your trick for getting "min" in Prime 3.1 works.

Top Tags