cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - When posting, your subject should be specific and summarize your question. Here are some additional tips on asking a great question. X

More fun with symbolics

jstavitsky
1-Newbie

More fun with symbolics

Whats up with these divisions?

Thanks

Joe

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Maybe better to finish one question/discussiob before opening the next!? http://communities.ptc.com/message/234950#234950

So tell us what you think. I am not sure what kind of problem you see in your file? Its not always generally agreed on when an expression should be called simplified. Some like/need 15/7, for other purposes (2 + 1/7) may be more useful.

So Mathcad offers you different kind of keywords and modificators to control the outcome of the result (and we would need much more of those). I guess you will be happy if you use "factor" instead of or afer "simplify" to get the results you probably are used from school.

In other cases you will have to accept ever so often that Mathcads symbolics simply won't give you the results the way you image they should be presented. Every software has its limits and with an allpurpose mathematical tool like Mathcad you reach them sooner than with reference leader progs like Mathematica or Maple.

25.02.png

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

Maybe better to finish one question/discussiob before opening the next!? http://communities.ptc.com/message/234950#234950

So tell us what you think. I am not sure what kind of problem you see in your file? Its not always generally agreed on when an expression should be called simplified. Some like/need 15/7, for other purposes (2 + 1/7) may be more useful.

So Mathcad offers you different kind of keywords and modificators to control the outcome of the result (and we would need much more of those). I guess you will be happy if you use "factor" instead of or afer "simplify" to get the results you probably are used from school.

In other cases you will have to accept ever so often that Mathcads symbolics simply won't give you the results the way you image they should be presented. Every software has its limits and with an allpurpose mathematical tool like Mathcad you reach them sooner than with reference leader progs like Mathematica or Maple.

25.02.png

Definitely thanks for the explanation. I am just poking throught my textbooks and seeing what happens as I go along. I want to learn as much about the advantages and disadvantages of the various packages as possible.

Top Tags