cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Have a PTC product question you need answered fast? Chances are someone has asked it before. Learn about the community search. X

Need help with geotechnical engineering calculations

CF_10130026
5-Regular Member

Need help with geotechnical engineering calculations

Hi,

This is probably my 2nd week of using mathcad and I've stumbled into a few difficulties.

1) Originally, I wanted to try to distinguish between granular and cohesive soils. For Fines content of less than 50%, this should be classified as granular while greater or equal to 50% must be classified as cohesive soils. I wasn't able to do this so I ended up getting the overburden and effective stresses by interpolating the unit weights. Can someone help write a code that can get the final effective stress by distinguishing whether it is granular or cohesive material?

2) In the tab N60 Correction for Overburden Stress, the answers are wrong - I tried this using excel but I don't know why the results from the excel file are not similar to the mathcad file.

Hope someone can help!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Hi

Part 2 the errors.

Excel is unitless so handles the empirical formulas as it only has numeric values.

Prime has units so it is necessary un-unit them to get a correct value in the empirical formulas

Capture2.JPG

Cheers

Terry

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

Hi,

Need to create a table of ones (true) and zeros (false) to represent if soil is granular or cohesive.

Capture.JPG

You can use these masks to calculate the soil values

Capture2.JPG

Cheers

Terry

Hi

Part 2 the errors.

Excel is unitless so handles the empirical formulas as it only has numeric values.

Prime has units so it is necessary un-unit them to get a correct value in the empirical formulas

Capture2.JPG

Cheers

Terry

CF_10130026
5-Regular Member
(To:terryhendicott)

Hi Terry! This worked, thanks so much for the help!

Top Tags